tigums
"I think I broke it..."
  • 2004/5/31 2:08

• tigums

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/30

Got XOOPS about two days ago, been fiddling around with it. Was using the newest e107, but it was slower than I remember.

So I'm trying to make a new module, and am doing the kickstart guide (http://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=ModuleHowTo)

I edit the name from greeter, to my soon to be module, to charsheet. Go to try to install it, and my modules page doesnt show. hrm. I go back and make greeter verbatim, c&p style. neither show. weird. So I come here, download the dictionary module to see if that shows up, nothing. I tried the random quote module, nothing. Then I notice the modules page isn't right. It kinda cuts off at the bottom.

I figure my first incarnation of a module is messing everything up. I delete the folder from the modules directory, and now I can see all the other modules. And some error

Above the noninstalled modules table is:

Module File for Not Found!Module File for Not Found!Module File for Not Found!Module File for Not Found!Module File for Not Found!

and between the install and info button in an otherwise blank row is another Module File for Not Found!

So I assumed my module file for... wasn't found.

Then I realize, that the greeter module isn't listed. So I delete that, and now no error. The two downloaded modules are there waiting to be installed.

All of this brings two questions:

Shouldn't an error have shown when I first tried to install my own botched module? Instead, XOOPS sends a chopped off modules listing. Did I do something that dastardly that XOOPS couldn't fathom that was even a possibility?

Secondly, the kickstart guide to module development doesn't work, as so far as it indicates it should. Is it old that the newest version of XOOPS no longer works with it? Or did I somehow manage to fudge the process of copy and paste when creating it?

Apprecite your time.

tl
Re: "I think I broke it..."
  • 2004/5/31 2:30

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Xoops installation will configure your module as you put it into xoops_version.php file. It will install the table and store your config parameters in the database. It does not check and test your module. Make sure that your xoops_version.php file has all the correct info.

Kickstart guide worked fine, last time I tested.

The process of developing your own module is a trial-and-error process. Don't get discouraged. XOOPS is the easiest extensible system ever.

I found it was very useful to turn debug on while I was trying to make my module work. You may want to try that.

Good luck and happy Xoopsing.

Casey
Re: "I think I broke it..."
  • 2004/7/18 21:37

• Casey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/18

I did the kickstart as well, even going so far as to copy the code - and it's just giving me errors when I try to install it. Speaking of that - how do I remove something from the modules list - right now I have two blank boxes for names with the words "file not found" below them (from trying to install the kickstart a second time).

Edit: Just to clarify, I know I have to deactivate and click uninstall - but uninstall just brings me to a blank white page and the module still shows up.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits