dengage
!!!???What are you gonna do???!!!
  • 2004/5/19 10:46

• dengage

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/16

I planned to open my portal www.smapo.net in a few days... Buthttp://www.wfsections.xoops2.com/ is closed.

Well. I will miss you Catzwolf...

Just read this and COMMENT. How will develop this module?? I mean wfsections.

I have come to a stage where I do not believe in the direction that XOOPS is taking now and I cannot ignore this
anymore. What was once in my eyes a clear path forward as become nothing but a farce and I have become disillusioned in its
purpose and I do not see this changing.

Just over a year ago, Herko, Neon and I started X-Mode with the aim of taking module development a bit further and
giving developers a central point to develop and distribute their modules. The idea was adopted by XOOPS and at
that time I believed I was apart of something constructive and that would in the end be a benefit to the whole of the
Xoops Community.

These ideas have changed the face of XOOPS over the last six months, in whole, they are essential to the development,
growth and long term stability of what is a an excellent piece of software and I hope that XOOPS gains the stature
that it deserves with the rest of the CMS world.

The initial aim of the module development team was to take the current core module and bring these up to the standards
of the core, in such a way that they used many of the core functions and classes and then, to build those modules on
from there. I personally, believe that just a handful of very talented developers would have sufficed for this
purpose and thus lead by example for other module developers to follow. Well, this has not happened.

I feel that many of the issues regarding module development, which should have been discussed and settled many months
ago, have still not been resolved and it seems to me that there is still a long way off actually being put into place.
To me every stage needs strong foundations to help support the next stage of development and this is clearly not the
case here.

Personally, I feel that a lot more should have been produced than there already has been in the last six months.
I have to give credit to Predator and his team for the excellent progress and development they are making with the
forum (I always said that this would keep you busy). But, apart from that, I have seen nothing to write home about
regarding the rest of the core modules. Personally, I believe if some developers spent as much time writing code as
they did answering non-descript posts in the forums, then things may have been different.

I just feel now that the module development team is setting itself up to fail, and I can no longer just stand there
and watch this happen.

I just think that it is so FUCKING ironic that it takes a non-developer like Hsalazar ( No disrespect meant here) to
show everyone how it's done! Well done m8 I think what you have done is utterly fantastic, keep it up.

So on that note, I would like to say a big thank-you to all those people who have in one way or another have contributed
towards all the WF modules, the list is long and you will know who you are.

To the XOOPS Community for making me feel at home with their warmth and sincerity.

To those in the development world core/modules/themes, who have helped me and taught me a lot over the last two years.

Many Thanks

ATB

Catz

Comments? Please reply and don't close this topic.

solo71
Re: !!!???What are you gonna do???!!!
  • 2004/5/19 10:52

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

WFsection is a very good module, and very expected. No doubt some of our uppermost brilliant dev will take the challenge.

Aianda
  • 2004/5/19 11:08

• Aianda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/12

AndyM's has created a great lightweight alternative to WF-sections for articles:

https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=24&lid=514

The latest XF-Section with Spotlight is also good.

Depending on your needs, WF-Section may have been overkill anyway.

Also Tiny content duplicatable is pretty good.

brash
  • 2004/5/19 11:43

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I was actually looking forward to a few of the new features of Wf-Section V2 very much. Inparticular article version control and restore, related documents, related links, instant article ID and a few more. I sat and thought about everything I could possibly make true use of in an article management module and WF-Section V2 accounted for every single one. As it is though even beta 3 is still to far off an RC to consider using in a production environment.

davidl2
  • 2004/5/19 12:07

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Perhaps CW will at least allow it to be released with notes on how far he got debugging?

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits