Tocpe
Xoops and XML news feeds
  • 2004/5/14 2:43

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/28

I've searched through the forums and have found lots of threads on using the Headlines module to display news RSS and XML newsfeeds. I've tried to get it to work, but I can't seem to get Headlines to pull anything other than the XOOPS news feed. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I'm running 2.0.6. And all I wanna pull is this xml news feed: http://www.savedisney.com/SDData/feed.xml

Can someone please help?

gruffbear
Re: Xoops and XML news feeds
  • 2004/5/14 2:56

• gruffbear

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/5/14

I'm having exactly the same problem! I just installed XOOPS today. Looks pretty cool in other respects. Arrgh.

Tocpe
  • 2004/5/14 3:00

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

Don't get discouraged, XOOPS rocks, but apparently it has a few problems pulling news feeds. Other than that XOOPS is great!

Tocpe
  • 2004/5/14 14:28

• Tocpe

• Not too shy to talk

If there is a bug in the headlines module that causes these problems, is there a module you guys reccommend for pulling newsfeeds, especially an XML news feed? Or is there some javascript code or something I can insert into a generic XOOPS block?

nostatic
  • 2004/5/14 18:41

• nostatic

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/13

Some feeds work: http://fry.annenberg.edu/xoop/

I got the Apple RSS to show. The problem is that none of my weblog feeds will display, and I've tried both 0.91 and 2.0 feeds. Anyone have an idea? This is a mission critical aspect of my site (along with download/upload capability). So far XOOPS is the best in that I can easily display recent downloads in a block on the main page, but the RSS problem is bumming me...

gruffbear
  • 2004/5/15 17:45

• gruffbear

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/5/14

[size=x-large]Here's a clue for you all...[/size]

... the Walrus was Paul. (Just kidding.)

In playing with different XML feeds, I'm finding that a critical element is the Item Title.

For syndicated blogs with the Title element present and filled in, there is no problem. However, if there is no title, nothing appears.

So... have a look at the XML code in the feed and see what elements are present.

Apparently the standard XML parser isn't very sophisticated. Are there any PHP-oriented types reading this who want to take on tweaking this chunk of code?

cmize
  • 2004/5/16 19:03

• cmize

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/16

I'm not having any problems getting newsfeeds to display but I'm wondering if there is a way to change the default behavior when clicking on the headlines from the main page. I have headlines installed as a block on my main page but when you click on one of the news items it takes you to the headlines module instead of the site where the news item is located. For example I have the slashdot feed and the list of items is displayed on my main XOOPS page but when I click on one of the stories I'm taken to the headlines module page instead of slashdot. Is there any way to change this so that clicking on a news item from the main page will take me directly to the the story?

tl
  • 2004/5/16 20:24

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:

cmize wrote:
... but when I click on one of the stories I'm taken to the headlines module page instead of slashdot. Is there any way to change this so that clicking on a news item from the main page will take me directly to the the story?

This thread will help you out.

Headlines - How do I?

Login

Who's Online

341 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 341

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits