treefrog
upgrade to 2.0.6 didn't go smoothly
  • 2004/4/27 1:12

• treefrog

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/17

I'm glad I tried it on a test site first.

I uploaded and overwrote all the changed files as per the intsructions via CPanelX. I did this to my "test site" (another installation of XOOPS on my server)...

I updated all the modules, including at least three times for "system"... and I still have problems. I reverted to the default theme (just in case), which didn't change anything. I also re-uploaded the files in the root folder and the files in the system module again, which still didn't help.

I turned on PHP debug, but I had gobbledygook before that anyhow.

This is what is at the top of my browser in the Module Admin page:

Quote:
common.php1.1?4"'À1?4"'ÀmBIN‚?Ì1errorhandler.php?1?4"#B1?4"#BmBIN‚?…œ functions.phpZª»êÖV»êÖVmBIN‚?£‚databasefactory.php»Äéê»ÄéêmBIN‚?:1mysqldatabase.php(k»õR»õRmBIN‚?êídatabase.php5»ã1»ã1mBIN‚?t‰criteria.php&F»â°»â°mBIN‚?oÏ config.php(t1?47|1?47|mBIN‚?p!version.php11?4Ii21?4Ii2mBIN‚?¿— member.php4R1?46ú|1?46ú|mBIN‚?ÔÊuser.phpVÚ1?4'ü1?4'ümBIN‚?ƒsession.php1?4äB1?4äBmBIN‚?ÉF constants.php ê1?4¯º1?4¯ºmBIN‚?¥main.phpn©˜1?4IÉ21?4IÉ2mBIN‚?¥ªxoopsblock.phpI¯1?4 ´`1?4 ´`mBIN‚?åVmodulesadmin.php”71?4IÉ41?4IÉ4mBIN‚?? 

and then on the bottom is this:
Quote:
Warning [PHP]: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/root/public_html/testsite/include/common.php:2) in file include/common.php line 159
Warning [PHP]: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/root/public_html/testsite/include/common.php:2) in file include/common.php line 159
Notice [PHP]: Undefined index: anonrefer in file modules/wfchannel/xoops_version.php line 82

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and how I can fix it, so that when I go to upgrade the real site I'm slightly more successful?

By the way, even though wfchannel is in that message, it's "disabled" right now. And there are no additional modules on the real site, just the default ones.

Thanks so much, really.

treefrog
Re: upgrade to 2.0.6 didn't go smoothly
  • 2004/4/27 3:27

• treefrog

• Just popping in

Okay, so apparently my goal in life is to mess up my Xoops.. frustrate myself that I can't figure it out... post to this forum, and then go back and figure out how to fix it myself anyhow.

Gee posting here really works, I guess.

So my reinstallation of the back up test site root from earlier today got me back to where I was before I tried to upgrade.

Then, I went with a third party ftp to upload the the changed files (much faster too, I might add... I don't know what I was thinking earlier)...

and, voila! I seem to have a functional site. Although, I'm not sure where to look to make sure the version is actually upgraded to 2.0.6 I would've thought the footer would change. There's no indicator that there's anything different, except that I am free of gobbledygook again.

Thank you XOOPS forum for fixing my site by osmosis.

Let's hope the upgrade of the real site goes just as smoothly...

treefrog
Yee-ha! upgrade to 2.0.6 WENT smoothly!
  • 2004/4/27 4:09

• treefrog

• Just popping in

Sorry to distract you all.

My real site is upgraded, and I acknowledge that I must be a flake.

So sorry... I guess there's a bit of a learning curve.

Keep up the good work!

(and I see that the 2.0.6 registers in the module administration footer... just not the home page... but at least now I know that!)

carnuke
Re: Yee-ha! upgrade to 2.0.6 WENT smoothly!
  • 2004/4/27 7:15

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Ok treefrog, I rad you 3 posts here and glad you seem to have resolved things! (we have a full time psychic helpdesk here and as you see it works well !!! )

Seriously, other than use ftp client what is your thoughts on what happened ??

Richard

treefrog
  • 2004/4/27 12:51

• treefrog

• Just popping in

I wish I knew.

If these are things that should've been done the first time anyway, I didn't know about it... but the succesful upgrade time, I did do the following (different) things first (I don't know if it affected it):

I turned off (deactivated) the third-party modules... and uninstalled WFChannel, WFFaq, Soapbox, and Tiny Content (they were just on the test site, so I didn't lose anything.) I reverted to the default theme, and I replaced the "uploader.php" in root/class/ that WFChannel had earlier replaced with a fresh copy. Then I did the upgrade.

What anything had to do with anything, I don't know.

On the real site, the only third party module I have up and running is a counter, and I deactivated (but didn't uninstall) it, and also reverted the theme to default (just for kicks.) I didn't want to take any chances... That upgrade went without a hitch.

So, if you think any of that helped (rather than me being a dork the first go-round and the XOOPS forum channeling psychic help), let me know, and I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the next upgrade another day down the road.

If at first you don't succeeed, try try again.
Then post to the XOOPS forum and try try again.

Mithrandir

Happy to see that it went well.

Unfortunately, your initial post was made rather late here in Europe (where most of the "HelpDesk" people are located) so if you encounter more problems, please have a little more patience, we do have to get up in the morning before we can read the forums as the first task of the day

You re-uploaded XOOPS, right? I think there were some corrupted files in your problematic installation, but cannot suggest, where this corruption comes from.

The footer in the default theme is just an image, so it will not be affected by the XOOPS version changing.

treefrog
  • 2004/4/27 13:30

• treefrog

• Just popping in

I actually did realize that... that most of the XOOPS team was sleeping...

I am one of those people that just has to attempt to make things work, though (or I probably wouldn't have slept!) And I waited till midnight my time to shut the real site down to upgrade it (most of its users are in my time zone).

I didn't really re-upload Xoops, per se. I just replaced my test site files with the backup copy from just before I tried the upgrade (which still did contain those third party modules), and then did all the other little things I mentioned above... mostly just because I wanted to do everything I could possible think of to try to make it go smoothly... since no one else seemed to have my problem.

It is funny, though, that a couple of times now, I have posted and then figured it out myself. But it's funny, because I couldn't figure it out before posting (which wasn't my first impulse!)

Thanks!

Alan-A
  • 2004/5/6 11:11

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

I know this "problem" only too well!
It's probably something to do with writing everything down for the first time so that someone else has a chance uf understanding what's happening.
It's most embarrasing when I go back to my boss and try to persuade him that something won't work. A new solution comes to me in the middle of the meeting and then I crawl out a babbling wreck, once more not having been able to make a clear recommendation....
That's life I guess.

Best wishes,

Alan

Login

Who's Online

89 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 89

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits