hyapadi
Mambo-like install / unistall module+templates via web
  • 2004/4/25 1:07

• hyapadi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/31

It would be great if XOOPS has the ability to install and uninstall modules+themes via web. Exactly like what mambo done. And if possible the upgrade can be done my only install the new version ( via web also ). So... the admin don`t have to upload it first via ftp :P Thx..

davidl2
Re: Mambo-like install / unistall module+templates via web
  • 2004/4/25 1:13

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

In theory a good idea - but I could imagine it being a security risk potentially.

hyapadi
  • 2004/4/25 1:17

• hyapadi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/31

Whoa... too bad then. Just wonder XOOPS with such capabilities. Maybe someone can make modules/hack for this?

DonXoop

I see what your saying and it could be done but as mentioned it has security issues and that makes it a bigger job to do right. (templates on the other hand are done via web)

Having said that I'll also say that FTP is very insecure IMHO. But FTP can be faster than a web based method. You can set-up FTP (or much preferred a secure method like SFTP & SSH depending on what your options are at the server) to be almost drag and drop easy.

Don't forget that you can add your own stand alone scripts including file management if you prefer a GUI. Maybe a file transfer script, MySQL front end, and server log reporting. They don't have to be XOOPS specific scripts. These functions are actually best done outside of a CMS like xoops. You aren't dependent on a working core in order to manage it or any problems.

Mithrandir

The main problem with this approach is that the entire modules folder needs to be writable by the server - which is not really a good idea.

I know that some other CMS's need quite an amount of files and folders to be writable, whereas I like it that XOOPS has only 3 folders writable and 1 file - and the file is only during installation.

The security risks implored by such a feature would go high over, what XOOPS stands for IMO.

davidl2
  • 2004/4/25 11:17

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

I did like the suggestion when a similar topic came up recently, of an auto-notification when a new release of a module came up :)

Ok - it may not be auto install - but it would be very handy indeed!

Mithrandir

Making a central repository is possible - and in the works.
Making a backend to show latest additions in e.g. the administration menu of a XOOPS install should also be possible (Previously you syndicated the news off of XOOPS.org in admin menu by default)

I'm positive for such an idea of showing latest additions to modules.xoops.org and links to download it, when it is launched

davidl2
  • 2004/4/25 11:40

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Great idea indeed!

And one more thought before this completely drifts off topic (which is probably my fault tbh!)....

If someone announces a new mod on XOOPS - it would be great if the new Modules site would have it as well ;)

Mithrandir

That is the whole idea of the modules site

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits