rakesh
cant c login part of index.php page after installation
  • 2004/4/5 12:48

• rakesh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/5 1

hi there,

i have finally successfully installed xoops.
well all is a story i guess i need to explain it in detail so developers can guied me.

on my local computer, everything seems perfect, no problem at all.

so, i started installing on my website, i.e. on remote host, and problems started poping up one by one, however i have tried my best but, now i m stuck....

firstly i had problem saying that could not write into mainfile.php, at 3rd or 4th step of installtion, i checked file permission everything was ok. still the problem persist. then i scaned through the index.php file in install/ directory, i found that mainfile.php and other derectories were refered there using "../", well this is not allowed on the server where i m hosting my website as they have some basedirectory restriction, in this index.php at 40 placeses this "../" is used. and i changed all to "./"

well, i thought to play with source code and directory stucture, i put all the files in install/ derectory as it is but in parent direcotroy of install, and install was empy, i moved all language, sql, class etc all the folders to perent directory that is now root directory, renamed the root's index.php file to index_main.php and copied index.php of install to root.

after doing this i tried to install but again the same error, so i again scaned sourcecode and found that on file in class directory was at two places refering to ../mainfile.php and ../mainfile.dist.php, again i modified ../ to ./

now this time everything was perfect, i got everything istalled correctly and was greeted with end screen of installtion.

i renamed index.php to index_install.php and index_main.php to index.php

i tried to check the url, well it worked but only header and footer, no login screen. tried user.php but again only header and footer, tried admin.php message came that not authorized, fine i came to this fourm and found couple of hints, one was to on the debug mode by modifing include/common.php file, i did that, and one hint was to edit database and in xoops_config modifing debug_mode to 1.
everything is done.

still the same problem with my index.php and admin.php but some change came to my user.php file

well still only header and footer but this error code is added in the end:

Warning [Xoops]: Smarty error: unable to read template resource: "db:system_userform.html" in file d:\area\users.quickfox.org\~\myfamily\class\smarty\Smarty.class.php line 1042

now i dont know where do i go from here, can the expert developers sitting out there help me, c my basic problem was with basedirectory restriction, may be it is still createing problems for me, plz suggest modifications that i m required to do in order to make everything working.

well i guess it was bit long nartion of my problem, sorry that i made u read this much, but i guess i will help u in analying the exact prob,

n e way waiting for reply

Daigoro
Re: cant c login part of index.php page after installation
  • 2004/4/5 14:29

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

Rakesh,

You need to restore the "../" in the path you have been changing. I'm sure you have been wrongly informed by your host, as "../" has nothing to do with root, but rather means to look for the file one level back in the directory structure.

Thus, if you have a file located in classes, like this:

root/your_path_to_xoops/classes/something.php

and the include-path in something.php is specified as ../mainfile.php, then it means to load the following file:

root/your_path_to_xoops/mainfile.php

Once you changed "../" into "./", you are now asking it to load the file from the current dir, like this:

root/your_path_to_xoops/classes/mainfile.php

And this will fail, as the file don't exist there.

Now, restore the unmodified files, and try to get it to work from there.

Best regards,
Daigoro

rakesh
  • 2004/4/6 1:10

• rakesh

• Just popping in

daigoro,

no this does not work, the restirction on my host is not abt root directory, its abt refering to parent directory, in fact....

http://my-site/first/second/third/temp.php

script can not refere to....

http://my-site/first/this.php

or....

http://my-site/first/second/this.php

even using relative path i.e.

../../this.php and ../this.php dont work

so one thing that is for sure is that i can not refere to files resideing in parnet derictory, and that is what i m informed by my host. ya if u have some way to override this basedir restiction, of that will help me

thx for ur reply, waiting for another reply.

rakesh

Daigoro
  • 2004/4/6 18:37

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Rakesh,

If it's realy true that your host has such hard limitations in their setup, and does not allow php scripts to access files in a parent directory, then I'm afraide I have to inform you that it will be extreamly difficult (read: impossible) to run XOOPS at all, as you will have to change the locations of hundredts of files and rewrite as many functions.

I have never heard of a provider who has such harch limitations, and I must say I'm supprised they have php if they are not allowing people to use it for complex scripts.

The ability to access files in parent and child directories are inherent for all complex php scripts, XOOPS included!

Personally I would drop that host as soon as possible, and find another host with no such restrictions.

I'm curious about your provider, and what kind of wed-server they are using. Do you have a hostname to their site or the site you are working on?

Regards,
Daigoro

rakesh
  • 2004/4/7 8:42

• rakesh

• Just popping in

hi

ya its true its very hard for me to make XOOPS working there, itshttp://quickfox.org, visit them if u like,

but some how i have installed it successfully
but now there are new problems poping up all around
i have modifiled makedata.php in / and it installed perfectly, i can login to admin.php and user.php
but now it is modules/system/admin.php creating problems as it includeds ../../mainfile.php.

well i have modified this place as well but it will require tremandous amount of hard for me to go on

let c how long i handle this situation, or say let us see when i give up

regards,
rakesh

Daigoro
  • 2004/4/7 12:08

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Rekesh,

I wish you all the luck you can get, but I think you are fighting a battle you can't win. I must say I'm impressed that you managed to get XOOPS installed.

I read on QuickFox.org, that they belive the world should be shaped differently. They also appear to have a good understanding of their technology, and are expanding. Why not simply ask them to remove the parent-dir limitation, and that way let them move into this century?

I see it's free, but you can get almost free hosting (less then UDS 10 per year) which will not have such stupid limitations. Afterall, your time is worth more then just doing stupid work - just because of some stupid limitations.

Best regards,
Daigoro

rakesh
  • 2004/4/8 21:12

• rakesh

• Just popping in

hi there,
thx for ur kind wishes, truyly even i dont know how long i will be able to work with such restriction, n e way i would like to ask u, if u know some par solution to this basedir restriction. so that i can suggest this to my hosting service provider and may be it will help, i m not finding n e such thing still.

well i m still fighting

regards,
rakesh

Daigoro
  • 2004/4/12 13:16

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

I don't know what kind of web-server your host is running, but it's usualy a simple thing to restrict users within a single dir. They just need to remove that restriction.
I'm sure it must be some kind of error in their setup.

Regards,
Daigoro

rakesh
  • 2004/4/17 13:12

• rakesh

• Just popping in

hi there,

i asked my host abt their configuration of php.ini file
the value for OPEN_BASEDIR is "." and this is nothing but hell out there, u can understand this. they are using win2k3 server with apache webserver
if u know n e alternative to this plz tell me,

problem with them is they are not creating users, only one user is there and rest are direcotories under that user name. so n e user can access other users directory and thats why they have put this restriction, if each script would had been running under different username and space there would had been no problem but here all the scripts are running under one name, so they cant do n e thing,

i suggested them to put value for this OPEN_BASEDIR as "/physical/path/to/user1/,/pyhiscal/path/to/user2/" and so on, i.e. listing users home directories seperated by "," as value, but they say that it wont work there.

well i also havent tested this thing, so even i am not sure if this works, but i guess this may work.

do u know solution to this problem, of any other idea to play with open directory restriction???
plz let me know i will pass it to them.

regards,
rakesh

Daigoro
  • 2004/4/18 22:07

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

I'm sorry Rakesh, I have no idear how to cure this problem, as it's apparently performing exactly the way your provider wants it to do. Also, I don't know (and have no intention on learning) how Win2k servers are functioning. In my opinion they are broken by design!

If I were you, I would select another provider.

Best of luck.

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits