Anonymous
i wanna make my site with xoops but i need more help on how!
  • 2004/4/3 14:30

• Anonymous

• Since:

I really like the idea of XOOPS and just about understand
what its for but i cant find anywhere to BUY it, or do you just download the program free?
and also! when you then have the XOOPS software, what happens to it! say if i have already made a background and menu, headers and such already created, where theni do you upload it ,and how will i get a URL address without buying a .com domain.
what do you use to write in all the text and make links
and all the basic stuff for a site, do you have to have FRONTPAGE? or can you use xoops?.
and.. do you really need a database?
i am thinking of buying the XOOPS 75 hosting package,
and then if i get the XOOPS software is that all i need
to make a site?
please help.
thanks

cuckston
Re: i wanna make my site with xoops but i need more help on how!
  • 2004/4/3 14:42

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/19

Hi there, Welcome to Xoops.

Xoops is free so you dont have to purchase anything. Once you have downloaded the program you put it onto a web server. This is where websites are hosted. You purchase a certain amount of space from hosting providers. Once you have uploaded XOOPS to your webserver then you can install it through a simple program and then start making your website.

It can be quite complicated for the first time user therefore if you want personal help, please just pm me or email me at matthew_cuckston@hotmail.com and i will help you set it up for you and help you choose a good reliable hosting provider.

Matt Cuckston

Lance_
  • 2004/4/3 14:55

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Hey Max,

Being new to XOOPS myself and deducing from your post that you are quite new to the CMS(Content Management System) world. I would suggest you install Apache, PHP, and MySQL on your local computer and test the XOOPS system along with its abilities before going for a wehosting package. If you have never done that, find EasyPHP (which will install all three above packages at the same time), it should work fine for a test platform.

This way you will learn more of the entire workins' of putting a site together. The learning curve on XOOPS is fair, but some concepts take some getting used to.

Basically everything you see on this site is already included in xoops, no need to program other things, it's all in the setup.

Cheers.

cuckston
  • 2004/4/3 14:58

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

To be honest lance, i think getting hi to install apache, php and MySQL on his own computer and then install XOOPS onto that will just confuse him. It sure did when i first tried it, even with easyPHP.

A host would be easier because of two reasons, everything is already installed onto it and also, if he screws up then he doesn't screw up his own computer, hosting servers have fail-safes to ensure nothing bad happens.

Mithrandir

Well, someone made that package not so long ago with php, mysql, apache and XOOPS all ready to go (if it worked as it should) - but I can't remember the name or thread/news of its release.

Might be a good alternative prior to forking out for hosting etc.

cuckston
  • 2004/4/3 15:05

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Hey, had a look around, think this is what you are looking for.

Lance_
  • 2004/4/3 15:26

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Ya Cuckston, I understand the idea. But from my experience, on my local machine I have three different testing environments for xoops, easier and faster to test things when on you local machine.

Plus when getting into learning something might as well start with the foundation of it.

I've switched from Windows/ASP/Access to PHP/MySQL.

cuckston
  • 2004/4/3 17:48

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Fair enough Lance, i see where you are comming from.

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/3 19:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

thanks guys for all your help.
but the thing is, as you explain to me to get
Mysql, apahce and PHP stuff i dont understand what that
is?
could you give me jargon buster on those words.
thanks.
max

cuckston
  • 2004/4/3 20:28

• cuckston

• Quite a regular

Right, apache is the server that runs the scripts and programs you will be using, E.g. Xoops. PHP is the program that XOOPS is written in. MySQL is a database program and most php programs use MySQL. It makes programs flexible and dynamic.

Nearly every host will have these already installed on their servers if you were to purchase space. However, if you want to just test run XOOPS then i would recommend using EasyPHP like Lance says. If you want, PM me and i will give you a set of instructions on how to set it up and get going.

Good Luck

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits