joelg
Search engines and metadata
  • 2004/2/12 13:43

• joelg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/14

I've been looking around on the site but can't find the answer to my question - maybe it's me, but I would appreciate some help.

I am looking for a package to replace a site currently based on framesets and articles in individual files, for a history magazine site (in fact I've already posted a question about importing the existing site into XOOPS - help welcome there too ). This framesets technique has disadvantages, but it also has one big advantage: it is very easy (using OpenOffice) to give every article a metadata "content" and "description" (as well as a title) which will show up nice and cleanly in the search engine results (the disadvantage is that users get directed to the individual page minus the frameset, but there are ways round that).

Since the site I'm working on has extremely varied content, I'm reluctant to lose this feature since it would be impossible to update the metadata at the site level, in such a way as to reflect the richness and variety of content in the site, using:
META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="description"
META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="keywords"

I'm looking for a PHP/SQL based Open Source CMS which will therefore have the ability to associate meta content and description with each "page" (ie and above all article). Even better if it can do it in the Dublin Core standard.

I would also like to know about the internal XOOPS search engine. What are the limitations to it? Does it just do search on title, keywords for example, or can it handle full text? Can it handle the content of file downloads (notably PDF?).

Many thanks for the help

Joel

davidoops
Re: Search engines and metadata
  • 2007/3/11 21:06

• davidoops

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/4 1

Although having <Frameset> tag is not so good idea, but as it was mentioned in this article

"I am looking for a package to replace a site currently based on framesets and articles in individual files"

Having <Frameset> will lower your rankings but it doesnt mean that it is something disliked by search engines. We have seen websites which consists of <frameset> tag with two frames, One pointing to ABC.html, and other pointing to DEF.html. Now if your ABC and DEF.html are properly optimized ,they will immediately capture ranking on search engines and will show as

Your URL/ ABC.html
Your URL/ DEF.html

Site structure is a complicated term, and as per our experience Search Engines do not like too many HTML tags. They like websites with LESS HTML, and MORE CONTENT (and not just keyword stuffing)

Web Site Development & Promotion
Search Engine Optimization Seo Marketing India

davidoops
  • 2007/3/11 21:06

• davidoops

• Just popping in

_____

davidoops
  • 2007/3/11 21:07

• davidoops

• Just popping in

___

skenow
  • 2007/3/12 2:26

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

News 1.44 allows for custom meta description and tags for each article. Starting with v1.53, the Dublin Core is also an option.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits