kris1351
Cookie Question
  • 2004/2/2 18:57

• kris1351

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/2 1

Is there a way to make a XOOPS site cookie permanent? Our site has a lot of people that just don't like re-logging each and everytime they visit the site. I would like to make it so it remembers their info or just doesn't re-ask.

Mithrandir
Re: Cookie Question

Search the forums for "auto-login" and "remember me"

charpres
  • 2004/2/3 0:45

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

From experience, I can tell you to not bother trying to install any of the hacks floating around. None that I found work, or won't work on the version of XOOPS you want to use.

The answer is in XOOPS itself which contains the code to make cookies work correctly. It was commented out in one of the updates because of a potential security risk.

You need to find the thread here that describes exactly for you where in each file you need to un-comment the code. It is only a few places.

I did this about six months ago and it has worked perfectly ever since. If you want to log on to www.bloggerforum.com and then check out the cookies it will set on you computer for you, feel free. I wish I could tell you exactly where it is, but I have forgotten. This will be a bugger if I install the final release of 2.0.6 since I'll have to go in and un-comment again.

Brad
  • 2004/2/3 1:40

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

Quote:
The answer is in XOOPS itself which contains the code to make cookies work correctly. It was commented out in one of the updates because of a potential security risk.

Can someone tell me what exactly the security risk is? Is it merely that someone could walk by your computer and log on as you due to the auto login?

Dave_L
  • 2004/2/3 3:37

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

http://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=XoopsAutoLoginHack

I think the risk is mainly the one you described. Or if someone were able to "steal" your cookies, he could log in as you.

kris1351
  • 2004/2/9 22:08

• kris1351

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/2 1

Thanks for the replies. We have it where it allows users to set cookies for one year, but it keeps logging me out when the browser closes still. Have to do some more research.

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits