brash
Better Cache Control
  • 2004/1/18 1:01

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi All,

Having a low bandwidth connection, plus not a particularly fast server, I need to use the XOOPS caching system quite extensively to get maximum performance out of it. This usually works very well, with very noticable performance increases.

My only gripe is with the cache control system. For modules it's not to bad, as you can set them all on the one page, and only takes a single database update to set the lot. However, with block caching, which is where I gained most of my performance increases, it's a different story. For blocks you need to go into the blocks menu in system admin and set each blocks caching details individually. Most sites usually half a dozen or more blocks in the side columns, and setting these and clearing them periodically as suggested is a very tedious task.

I was wondering if a more efficient caching control system for the blocks could be devised? Perhaps something like group control where you make blocks members of different caching groups (like users are members of groups) and then set the caching times for each group instead of for each block? I've found that three different caching groups is enough for my sites, and I split them into live (no caching), semi-static (forum, comments, etc) and static (anything that doesn't change much at all).

Just an idea I though would help with the management of peoples XOOPS websites.

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits