w_grace
Moving Hosts - Can anyone offer any help with this?
  • 2003/12/29 14:09

• w_grace

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/10

Hello,

Right, I am moving my XOOPs board from one Server to another. Does anyone have any Experience of doing this?

Yes, the paths are going to change, and there is lots of stuff in the Database that I want to keep, as the site has been pretty much in a sort of Test Mode while I work on it. Now I have everything pretty much as I want, all I need to do is move the site to a Server that is going to be as solid as a Rock, this includes Apache v2 PHP 4.3.4 etc...

I want to make this move as smooth as possible, the change the DNS settings and the launch can happen.

Any help please email me

DonXoop
Re: Moving Hosts - Can anyone offer any help with this?

It isn't too bad. I would suggest first to shutdown the web server and MySQL. Then tar/zip the web root and ready to place it on the other server. Export your database and import to the new server, or if you have file access you can just tar/zip the db directory and copy it to the new.

On the new server you need to edit mainfile.php with the new information. Of course make sure your db access rights are set as required.

Carefully check file permissions since UIDs may have changed between servers. Personally, I like to set the writable directories (cache etc.) to be owned by the Apache owner instead of world writable. The other files/dirs I set to be owned by me with read-only for everyone else. The db user has no more rights than required to run the X. (side note, I'd like to see a lower priv user for the board and then a higher level db user for Admin functions).

This assumes that you want to run the new server based completly on the test site. I've played with moving between servers, cloning a site on the same server, copying just the user table, etc. with good success.

w_grace
  • 2003/12/30 17:40

• w_grace

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/10

Thanks, it sounds rather easy.

Is it all just held in the mailfile.php the paths etc?

Not bad. I will take the shot tomorrow and see what happens

hydrO
  • 2004/9/30 7:59

• hydrO

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/1/8 8

Hi,
I have got small problem here. I moved my stuffs to a new server and I have already imported the databse as well.
But the problem is that i dont' remeber the password that i used to connect to my database.
I have created a new useranem and a pass for the database in my new server, but i don't know how to connect to the database.
The password in mainfile.php appears to be encrypted. Is there a way to decrypt it or encrypt my new pass and put it in mainfile.php?

thanx in advace. a quick resposne will be appreciated.
Thank you

(PS: Thats just how i think it would work, if you have any idea just let me know.)

Dave_L
  • 2004/9/30 9:40

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

The password in mainfile.php is not encrypted.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits