kaliman
conecting to an external database
  • 2003/12/29 2:12

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Hi
Is it possible to connect XOOPS located in one site to a database located in another site?
Cheers!

kaliman
Re: conecting to an external database
  • 2003/12/29 2:47

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

CANCELED

I DID THIS WITH NO PROBLEM, SO IT IS ALREDY ANSWERED.

script_fu

You pulled this off? Would you mind sharing how to do this?
I've been trying to get this to work with no luck... What was the outcome? Do your weblinks and partners share the same info on both sites from one database?

script_fu

kaliman
  • 2003/12/29 15:02

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

Shure!
I installed XOOPS at webcindario.com (a free spanish hosting) that includdes php and mysql. Despite this I wasn't able to connect to the local databaso, so I crated a database at my local server (my computer obtains a dns trough a noip like service) and the connection was instant.
I do not know if 3 dotcoms can share the same database but one can acces an external database for shure.
http://playa.webcindario.com/
Xoops has only been installed.

Bye

DonXoop

Connecting to an external database is no different than a localhost db, you only need to specify where it is. And have the db user configured to be allowed access from the web server (MySQL permissions).

And, you need to be able to route MySQL between the servers (no firewall issues etc.). Now, are you saying that you are routing MySQL across the internet to a home database server? Certainly possible but if it is across the open internet that isn't wise or safe. Always have at least the web server between user and data.

Push it over a VPN or some way that prevents exposing your database to anything but local traffic (at most) and the web server that needs access. Even with server and db on the same box it is bad to allow access from random internet users no matter how tight your user access is set.

I'll repeat:
Now, are you saying that you are routing MySQL across the internet to a home database server?
Don't and don't unless it is protected very well!

kaliman
  • 2003/12/29 15:38

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

Thank you for the advise. I WILL CHANGE THIS AT ONCE.
(newcomers mistakes you see)

Cheers

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits