PatrickW
Starting installation question
  • 2003/8/29 6:54

• PatrickW

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/29

Hello,

I am new to XOOPS and I want to use it on my website. When I read the installation file it says:

"If your running in a hosted environment, unpack the XOOPS 2 files locally or on the server if you have telnet or SSH access. Once you done this, make sure to move or copy all XOOPS 2 files from the HTML directory to your root web directory (your provider usually provides this location with directions)"

I cannot copy anything to the very root web directory. Or in this case the installation guide means the directory "httpdocs" ?

Any help would be great.

Patrick

mvandam
Re: Starting installation question
  • 2003/8/29 7:18

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

Yeah, it just means the root directory "that you have access to". Actually it is just whatever web directory you want to put XOOPS in. Often this is the 'highest level directory' you have access to, but it can also be in a subdirectory 'xoops' or something, in case you have many scripts installed.

PatrickW
  • 2003/8/29 7:32

• PatrickW

• Just popping in

@mvandam

Thnx! Now I am giving it a go. Might it be the best to create a dir XOOPS and in that put the dir xoops-2.0.3 (after unpacking the zipfile) ? Or rename the xoops-2.0.3 dir on my hd to XOOPS and upload that? Just want to have the best possible setup and what better way then asking a expert.

Patrick

mvandam
  • 2003/10/16 21:12

• mvandam

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/2/7 2

My preferred way is to put the files on my server in the directory e.g. xoops-2.0.3. Then I will make a symbolic link 'xoops' that points to xoops-2.0.3.

You don't want to put things too deeply, or your website address becomes ugly...

http://somewhere.net/xoops/xoops-2.0.3/

(unless you are able to use e.g. apache mod_rewrite to clean things up).

Just my thoughts...

PatrickW
  • 2003/10/17 19:50

• PatrickW

• Just popping in

@mvandam

I have it in the root. And it runs fine. XOOPS is really a must have package.

Patrick

Login

Who's Online

158 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 158

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits