JasonMR
Re: Can we run a theme contest?
  • 2004/12/9 2:41

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Quote:

You could also specify that once you have competed 1 or 2x in the Rising Stars category, you must compete as a Pro for all subsequent cometitions.

Very nice idea, I like that very much, but let's focuson this event....we are still not sure, if we will have more than one contest, as it will be dependent on the outcome of this one. Though an excellent idea, that I would want to see implemented!

There have been a few misunderstanding, but instead of clarifying, let me sum up what we have up to now, and put forward my latest suggestions:

CATEGORIES
Artistic Pro
Techno Pro
Rising Star - Great Theme
Rising Star - Honourable Mentioning

SUBMISSION
- team or individual
- individuals can additionaly be part of ONE team that has a seperate submission (so each participant can have max to themes in the run - this could be another way to overcome the inadequaty obstacle, that might prevent people from submitting, if they work with others they might be more likely to give it a try)

One last note, this is a competition to create more than just nice themes, we don't need more of what we have allready in the Theme Repository. Much of what has been said, will be taken care of by the Theme Forge, once it is set up. I would like to see this contest as (develop into) an opening event of the Theme Forge.

JMorris
  • 2004/12/9 2:52

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Overall, looks pretty good from here. I wasn't originally keen on the team idea, but you make a good point.

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/9 2:56

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

Unfortunatly this thread had a split, so I'm reposting a post from Going forward with Theme Contest, which contains the time aspect, which we also need to discuss....

To fill you in, in that thread it had been proposed, that from opening of the contest, participants should have 3 months time to submit...this is my reply...

Quote:

I think the first contest should not be too restrictive!

3 months for one theme? seems a little long...submitters should be allowed to send in previously created themes, that they haven't offered for download (yet!!!).

My suggestions:
Time
- 2 week sign-up period (all that want to participate should sign up for elegibility to be rated)
- 4 week to work on theme
- 2 weeks community polling period
- final announcement by team of judges, that have their rating scala, which takes community poll into consideration

Rewards
- I personaly would do without a prize, but understand that it will help to draw more people in
- though, maybe you can organize sponsors to offer hosting (they will have well presented adds, on all Theme Contest related pages)

Sneak Preview
- as a designer interested in participating, I can tell you, I wouldn't appreciate pre-release screenshots

anything else...see my post in the last thread...(that's another reason I don't like this new thread, now all ideas are split into two threads.... )

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/9 3:01

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

JMorris: another reason is, we need to have a limit on time to submit!

Further, as has been partly stated, we have members that would enjoy participating in such a comp, but that have a limited skill set.

I just read a thread where two people got togehter to create a theme, one was proficient in using PS, the other with using CSS. This skill set split should be very common amongst users/community members.

Teams allow for the overcoming of limitedness in skills and abilities....

brash
  • 2004/12/9 3:12

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

It seems that there is plenty of interest in this idea, but from which perspective? As a submitter, or as someone eager to see the outcome? I wish we could run a poll to get an idea of how many are going to be lining up on the track, and how many are going to be sitting in the grand stand watching .

JMorris
  • 2004/12/9 3:18

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Another great idea!

Xoops Admins, What's the chances of starting a poll on this?

In case there is no go on the poll...

I'll be competing and watching.

brash
  • 2004/12/9 3:32

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

I'd say I'll be in much the same boat.

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/9 3:44

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

What do you expect from this pole? In my eyes, wasted energy!

Let's work on the realization of the Forge and the Comp, not dabble around in time waisting, inefficient democracy exercises, we have enough time for this, once the submissions are in

brash: I'm taking the perspective of a submitter! But how low do you want to go? Please explain to me, why you percieve my perspective as that of someone interested only in the outcome (check my member page for IM info)!

Now, could we have some more input regarding prizes. We might be able to get a (cash prize) sponsor. Now we have discussed this point earlier, but that was in hypothetical terms, now I can say, we will be able to offer money, as well as hosting.

My suggestion:
1) for this first comp there will only be one winner, and an honourable mentioning for each cat
2) cats Tech and Art will have a $200 cash prize
3) rising star will recieve a $50 cash prize
4) all winning themes (also rising star) will be used in the following 4 weeks, in randomly changing order (per day), as the theme used on Theme Forge
5) all winners and honourable mentionings, will have the opportunaty to present themselves/their team, and what they do etc. on an individual page; links to the winners pages, will be prominently display in a side block

Please, I need some input on this.....

Note: please exchange ideas, not positions! This is a discussion, and not me making decision and getting the nod of! I would like to see more arguments for or against ideas, and more suggestions.....

brash
  • 2004/12/9 4:33

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

In a nutshell I see the poll as being useful in terms of getting an idea of what to expect in terms of total submissions. Taking a step right back I suppose is what number of submissions are we all anticipating from this contest? Using thread contributers as a guide then I can't see us getting more than about a dozen, and going on the last 3~4 pages there have only really been a few of us in the discussion.

In business you never take one step into a new venture without having a pretty good idea of where it is going to take you. Obviously this doesn't translate fully to this situation, but I still think we would all be better equiped to run the contest if we had an idea on numbers, and perhaps skill levels. I think running into it blindly with either leave us disappointed, or unprepared to process them all. If we have an expectation of this prior to the contest then we will have time to regroup and consider our options. To this end I think a poll is of value.

The problem is not that I think you are only interested in the outcome Jason, the problem is that I think you are personally technically competent in desgning themes and are going into this without a full realisation of the degree that some people might not be. Some people do not understand the relationship between the classes used in theme.html file and CSS. Some people do not understand what impact the use of large graphic files have on their theme performance. Some people do not understand what a tabless theme is, or how to create one. What about XHTML and CSS compliance? I'm sure I could think of many other examples where acomplished designers wouldn't give a second thought to which would be real sticking points for people just starting out. The fact that you make comments like "how low do you want to go" only serve to enforce this doubt.

As for cash prizes, I've already had my say. I appreciate the offer and all, it cost doesn't sit right with me. At least not until who and how this is going to be judged is cleared up in detail.

jmass
  • 2004/12/9 4:58

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Brash makes a good point. I am considering asking my company for some funds for cash prizes. I am not expecting much in return for the company. However, they are going to a little upset it they donate considerable money to a contest with only 10 entries.

I do not want to confuse my excitement for the contest with actual public interest.

I think a quick poll and a maybe a pre-registration may be in order.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits