goatboy
Re: 30 Themes in 30 Days
  • 2007/3/28 6:23

• goatboy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/25

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
The original point was, and I hope IS, to show what the "average" user can do with a little creativity and only basic skill.

Well, that pretty much rules me out.

On a scale of 1 to 10, i would say my skill isn't too bad at about a 2 or 3...but for creativity, I would give myself about a -5 in that area.

James, your 30 themes in 30 Days initiative was very admirable, but I think we all understand how "stuff" just happens and forces us to change our plans. Considering your many contributions to the XOOPS community thus far, I think we can cut you some slack.

I really like the idea of a collaborative effort to establish a solid template from which many of us could learn more about how to create our own custom themes. I also agree with Steve's comment about teaching others to fish.

I am not afraid of diving into someone else's code to try and learn from it and figure out ways to personalize it to better suit my exact requirements. However, the problem I have most of the time is that I simply don't know enough about what I'm doing yet to really understand exactly what possibilities exist.

James, you said that you are not the best at writing documentation...well with a collaborative effort, maybe someone else could complement your work by providing some documentation to go along with the template theme. Having a solid template theme would be a great step, but I fear the task of trying to modify and personalize that theme may still be too intimidating for many people without some basic documentation or guidelines to show what possibilities exist and how to achieve them. Even just some basic examples to help the creatively challenged people like me to get motivated to learn and to try new things.

I wish I could offer my assistance to such a collaborative effort, but I still have far too much to learn before I feel that I would be able to provide any meaningful contribution to the XOOPS community. I plan to continue learning, however, and I hope that I will eventually be able to give something back to the community.

To all the devs, moderators, contributors, etc...I am very appreciative for all you have given.

Thank You.

GB

BlueStocking
Re: 30 Themes in 30 Days

Quote:

I am not afraid of diving into someone else's code to try and learn from it and figure out ways to personalize it to better suit my exact requirements. However, the problem I have most of the time is that I simply don't know enough about what I'm doing yet to really understand exactly what possibilities exist....GB

GB,
You said this better than I could, but it is exactly where I am today. I know some html, well alot, besides with Frontpage and copy and paste ability, who can't do that.

I've adapted a CHAT module to look like I wanted, which was nothing more than change a picture and colors. Doesn't hardly qualify me for designing XOOPS templates. I'm more interested in adapting the template I have of James, and learning what makes that tick than doing other templates.

As I learn more about handling my own site, I'll pass that knowledge on to others who might be one step behind me on the learning curve... that is if I can find anyone THAT new.

I echo your sentiments about THANKS to those who have put in so much hard work making this available.

BlueStocking
hardhunting.com
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Login

Who's Online

112 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 112

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits