konig
Re: Module (Animal)Pedigree, is it worth upgrading?
  • 2013/3/15 11:05

• konig

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/3/14

Hi,

I stumbled across this thread and thought I would chime in. I also use the animal module for canine pedigrees. My site is www.konigkennels.com and it is under GSP Knowlegebase. I'm very excited that you are willing to help "modernize" and make the animal aka "pedigree" module viable for future use. I am in the process of analyzing other alternatives and would hate to see a mass exodus of xoops for those of us who use the animal module. Xoops has been great and the animal module is indeed a nice application on a solid platform. I will certainly hold off on any move and wait to see what becomes of this. I am also willing to help in any way I can.

As far as ideas, I have a few too. It might be nice to get Menno & Sylvias ideas on options and change recommenations. They are leaving the module for a reason and any insight might be beneficial.

Possible Ideas:

1). More mobile friendly layouts
2). When searching for a dog or breeder etc. a pull down menu of choices may be nice after you enter a partial name
3) Better Coefficient of Inbreeding calculations
4) Under detail dog information maybe the use of tabs for putting Progeny, Siblings, Matings, Health, genetic statistics etc. instead of scrolling down

Thanks Mamba for your motivation, dedication and expertise. This module really needs you :)

Konig

afghanhound

Hi James Cotton gave me a copy of the animal pedigree software several years ago, he did a lot of customisation for us from the original script, and wrote several scripts for me too, you can view our Afghan Hound database herehttp://www.ahpedigrees.com
I have very little programming knowledge of xoops and have relied on the generosity of several people online to help me make further enhancements but have many many more i would like to implement and

I would dearly love some help from anyone who has the knowledge to do so and would happily share my extra scripts and knowledge of working on our database with anyone who can help

What changes are you making to the original software and would i be able to upgrade to it, or perhaps you might like to incorporate some of our customisation in the new version?

Pam Croft

Mamba
  • 2013/3/15 11:43

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

@ Pam Croft

Please email me your module, and if possible, a list of the customizations that you have. Check your PM for more info.

@ konig
It's good to see the interest and ideas. Right now the focus will be on making sure that the current module is working properly on latest versions of XOOPS and PHP. I can also look at the existing customizations and add them to the module, if they are generic enough to be of interest to all.

All extra enhancements will have to wait till we done with the above, but please continue with the brainstorming and suggestions. It would be good to have a team of people who are "subject matter experts" in Pedigree area, and who could help us with defining the needed functionality.

@ luwie
The current Beta version should run fine on PHP 5.3, but please test it first. Let us know how it went...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/15 11:54

• Anonymous

• Since:

Just an upgrade question (luwie asked me the steps by pm). The new module has a changed database and when upgrading the old database is converted. Do you have to install the old module for upgrading on a new xoops install or is uploading the old pedigree database tables to the new xoops database sufficient?

I asked luwie to ask further questions in the forum btw, as answers can be useful for others too!

Mamba
  • 2013/3/15 12:19

• Mamba

Quote:
Do you have to install the old module for upgrading on a new xoops install or is uploading the old pedigree database tables to the new xoops database sufficient?

Uploading the old pedigree database tables to the new XOOPS database is sufficient. We are just renaming the tables, that's all.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

luwie
  • 2013/3/15 22:38

• luwie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/9/6 7

Hello ,

Tonight I tryed to get the pedigree back running on the testsite.
I think I did a few things whrong........
I started to make a backup of the "old" databasefiles in SQL

that are the following files:

x1bb_stamboom [main file with all the data]
x1bb_stamboom_config [configuration file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup4 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup5 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup7 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup8 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup9 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup13 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_lookup14 [a user defined file]
x1bb_stamboom_temp [ this is just a temp file]
x1bb_stamboom_trash [trachcan file]

I did an export in SQL and saved the file on my local PC

After that I uploaded the Beta version of animal.
Then I did the install of the module.
This was ok.
The pedigree module is working and looks ok.

I saw that the main data file in SQL is called:

x2bb_mod_pedigree_tree
My thinking was to import the x1bb_stamboom data into the new x2bb_mod_pedigree_tree ,but when I try this I get a lot off errors.

So yes the good news is the beta is running ok.
But I would like to know how to get the "old " data back in the new database

Offcourse I`m doing something stupid

Please let me know what the right way is

Thanks for helping out

Theo

Tomorrow I will try to work with the Beta and see if the faults that use to be there a still alive,I will let you know.

Sorry for the poor english.

Mamba
  • 2013/3/15 23:51

• Mamba

Quote:
Please let me know what the right way is

1) import the database tables and make sure that they are there and have the correct data

2) only then install the new Animal module

The new module only renames the tables, so the data should be the same inside the tables, and the module should work just fine.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2013/3/16 12:41

• Mamba

OK, this won't work this way as I thought, because I was testing it on an existing installation, where we wouldn't install the new module, but update an existing one.

I'll make this weekend the appropriate changes, so the new module will work in a situation where we import only the tables from the old module, i.e. the old module is not installed, and we need to install the new module.

Sorry for the confusion....
Support XOOPS => DONATE

luwie
  • 2013/3/17 9:44

• luwie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/9/6 7

Hello,

I agree with Mamba to first work on to make the beta stable ,and after that look into the details.

There is one thing that is a bug in the animal module,I will try to explain:

If you add a animal with the following name:

Luwie`s

It can not be added because the module does not accept the ` sign.
So you cannot use all the caracters on the keyboard.

Resized Image

If you try to add it with the sign in the picture it will work,if you try to use other sig`n it will not work.
I think it`s a setting in one off the tables.

Luwie

Mamba
  • 2013/3/17 12:10

• Mamba

Theo, I am not sure, but it might be related to the encoding. Maybe you need to switch to UTF-8.

Now that we have your test site up and running, we'll be able to do some more tests with it.

While the module will still need some work on the Admin side, the key is that we were able to convert your existing data, and it seems to work OK. Please test it and let me know if you see any issues.

I am thinking also about renaming this module to "Pedigree", and instead of renaming the existing tables, to copy them to new tables that would be used by the new module.

The advantage is that the user could have the old module and the new one co-exist on the server for comparison. He would just disable the old one except for the Webmaster, and uninstall it, once everything is working.

I also think, having the name "pedigree" is better than "animal" :)
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

249 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 249

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits