Runeher
Re: Hosting
  • 2008/6/2 13:22

• Runeher

• Module Developer

• Since: 2008/1/24

Quote:
Maybee the dev-things is not for new users?

I have doubts about it too, but they are excellent tools to get new users interested in modification of their site, instead of having 'pre-installed' XOOPS sites... tok du den?...

Maybe we could call that section 'When you are ready!'

Runeher
  • 2008/6/2 13:44

• Runeher

• Module Developer

We really have to think freshman here... Imagine you knew nothing about php or scripting in general, you got a mail from your hosting company, supplying you with ftp codes and as they often do submit a link to a free ftp program. Then you have all you need to install xoops.

After installation they probably want to change the logo... how? They want a theme with flowers as it is a flower shop... where...how??

They need modules for contact forms, maybe a webshop module etc... I think we should provide them with a link to the repository at the very least and explain how to go about with installation of the modules.. (the repository should of course include only working modules as there is nothing more annoying than a non-working module...grrrr... and if possible add a new field when submitting a dl where developers can leave a link to a working demo)

anderssk
  • 2008/6/2 14:07

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

Quote:
After installation they probably want to change the logo... how? They want a theme with flowers as it is a flower shop... where...how??

Don't you know that?

You part with modules is, as far as I know, taking care of by the module-group.

Personally I ask the users "what do you need? Witch function do you need?"
Then I can help them with a module

Runeher
  • 2008/6/2 15:14

• Runeher

• Module Developer

Quote:
Personally I ask the users "what do you need? Witch function do you need?

Of course, but then they already saw the need to ask you because no information was supplied..

wouldn't it be better if new users after installing didn't have to run to a forum to ask for the simplest and most basic things...

Anonymous
  • 2008/6/2 17:41

• Anonymous

• Since:

Good work Runeher

This module must be come with 8 blocks ( left, right and center blocks ), so this will make the strucutre of XOOPS is clear.

We need to make it smarty so no need to add all local support logos, the user will see the content regarding to his/her language that selected during the installation.

As we know all welcome module blocks are custom blocks so we need to add "delete block" and "edit block" links at the bottom of each block for easy and quick managment.

Runeher
  • 2008/6/3 1:05

• Runeher

• Module Developer

Glad you like it... After we have decided which info to include we need to get it translated... But first we have to decide what to include, then Mamba should find/write the info pages for the english version, from that we should translate to our languages... sounds like a plan, right...

Quote:
We need to make it smarty so no need to add all local support logos, the user will see the content regarding to his/her language that selected during the installation.

The support badges was just lazyness from my side , but i think we need some links to other languages... ie. if someone click english (default) when installing, then he is stuck with the english version or...? or someone wants his site in english, but need the help files in another language?

As i see this module it should provide new users with som basic info how to get started, but i also see it as an oportunity to promote XOOPS so that new users wants to use it. I'm also found of graphical info buttons done right, so i would prefer that instead of text for the links on the front pages, providing there aren't too many. I feel it spice up a site a lot. What do you think?

Runeher
  • 2008/6/9 9:09

• Runeher

• Module Developer

I moved the discussion about the welcome module here.

I also have to start working on the site so i have moved the module demo here.

Anonymous
  • 2008/6/16 13:47

• Anonymous

• Since:

OK, we are moving to new page too .. lol

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits