kavaXtreme
Re: Individual blocks for each category, Possible?
  • 2005/1/19 15:00

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

• Since: 2005/1/17

I just want to add my voice the crowed calling out for this concept. Being new to Xoops, I posted the same question in the noobs forum, only to be pointed here. As I read the thread I kept saying "yes!" to tzvook's posts. Right on!

I've been creating sites since '96, but this is my first intro to cms. I'm blown away to hear how many people don't understand the concept of topic vs. module driven content. It took me a while to figure out XOOPS basics, but once I got ready to post content I started to realize, "Hey, this isn't going to work for my users." For me it boils down to this: either I baby my audience by presenting the content in a way THEY find totally intuitive, or I lose them. SO many sites are set up for what the webmaster finds functional or attractive and not for the user's needs. The old business cliche holds true here: the client (user) is always right.

I've been experimenting with Drupal as well. Perhaps their taxonomy/categories module has something we could learn from? Truth be known, I'm still wading through their presentation of that whole method.

Does 2.1 have a scheduled release date? What time frame are we looking at?

tzvook
  • 2005/1/20 11:17

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:
Being new to XOOPS

Welcome ... It's a one way in

Quote:
Does 2.1 have a scheduled release date? What time frame are we looking at?

As much as I understood, first beta in the first Q of 2005.

I can't wait too

kavaXtreme
  • 2005/1/28 10:15

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

• Since: 2005/1/17

In post #2 hsalazar said:
Quote:
You just need to build the blocks files, the templates, and modify the retrieval of data, so that each block retrieves not all the links, but only those links WHERE category = name, or something like that.

Could someone either point me to documentation that explains how to do this, or explain it here? I've spent a lot of time this week searching for this kind of info, but no luck so far. I'm confident with HTML and CSS, but PHP is totally new to me, so I'm hoping to find something that is clear to non-programmers.

I am upgrading a non-profit's existing site to benefit from XOOPS functionality, so I have to start the structure from scratch anyways.

<whimper>Please, please help... </whimper>

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits