Anonymous
Re: Module (Animal)Pedigree, is it worth upgrading?
  • 2013/3/5 16:55

• Anonymous

• Since:

Same problem here Mamba, I don't see the submenu items...

Edit: Now it works, looks like it was a caching issue... Strange, I emptied caches but nothing showed up, but now, after an hour I see the submenu!

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/5 22:37

• Anonymous

• Since:

I have had contact with James Cotton today. I heard from others before he would donate the module to the community (you had to pay for it years ago...). He confirmed to me we may update and redistribute it, and wishes we can make some people happy by updating Pedigree.

He lost all documentation about the module, but in case of specific questions we may ask him.

Mamba
  • 2013/3/5 23:10

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

James told me the same thing yesterday, so it's nice to see that he is supportive of our efforts.

Now we need the users to work on a "tutorial" on how to use it, and give us some feedback on what could be improved.

Hopefully, we'll get few developers to look at that and help with improvements.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

mizzsylver
  • 2013/3/8 20:24

• mizzsylver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/3/3 2

What could be improved?
- colour management in backend. Now its possible to change colours in front end but the colours of the links in the main menu and footer will also change. I don't want that

- possibility to choose the first shown page. Now I can choose wich module I want to see bij first visiting the page. Now I always see the alphabet block, I would like the welcome page to see first.

- maybe the possibility of choosing the place of the search blocks, now they are always on the right side.

Sorry for my bad english but I hope you understand what I mean.

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/8 21:33

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
possibility to choose the first shown page. Now I can choose wich module I want to see bij first visiting the page. Now I always see the alphabet block, I would like the welcome page to see first.

The current index page directly shows what the module is about. I would rename the 'Welcome' page to something like 'about'. Why annoy recurring visitors with a welcome page they have to navigate away from to get where they come for?

And in case you really want the welcome page as site index, why not put it on the front page using a content module?

Fixing the colour management issue would be nice indeed!

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/12 14:26

• Anonymous

• Since:

I digged up a further developed version from Menno Vlaanderen (http://www.weimaranerpedigrees.com). They are in a process of porting the database to a new script (none xoops), we may use their 'old' code with improvements:

Quote:
There are a couple improvements like a script to see all descendants of a dog, more search options and a couple little improvements to the tables / scripts.

Also some templates are improved. According to Menno it works with xoops 2.4.5/ php 5.2.8. I tested it with xoops 2.5.5 but get only blank pages...

I guess it is a good idea to see if this code can be merged with the nice work Mamba already did.

Download:Pedigree 'Vlaanderen' version

Mamba
  • 2013/3/12 18:15

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

He emailed it to me too. I'll take a look at that and will merge his changes into our latest beta release. Hopefully sometime next week.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

luwie
  • 2013/3/14 6:24

• luwie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/9/6 7

Hello everybody,

What a great idee to pimp up the animal pedigree module.

I`m theo from the Netherlands and I`m using the animal pedigree now for some 4 years.
The site name ishttp://www.stamdoes.nl and its all about the dutch Schapendoes.

This weekend the hosting company changed the PHP to 5.3 and the site doesn`t work any more.

If I can help out,please let me know.

I saw that you are modifing the module,can I use this files to get the site up and running?
Or should I better wait?

Greeting Theo Luwema

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/14 19:55

• Anonymous

• Since:

It's always frustrating to see your site fail because of an upgrade! As the central part of the site malfunctions now I guess the best option is to update xoops to version 2.5.5 and update the Pedigree module with the current beta. There may be some issues left but it seems the user side does not have any problems.

I don't know if your content and guestbook module will survive an upgrade, but there is not much content, so it will not be a problem to put this in a new module if necessary.

Most important first step is to have a good backup (files and database).

luwie
  • 2013/3/14 22:21

• luwie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/9/6 7

You are so right Flipse to see that there is no backwardscompability its quite
frustating.
First thing I did was make a backup off everything.

I have another site who I don`t use at the moment.
So I cleaned this one up and I`m now installing Xoops 5.2.2.
After that I will install the Beta Pedigree module and see if this works.
Then I can put back the users and data off the pedigree and see what happens.

If I have the site up and running I will give you the logins

will let you now

Greetings theo

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits