Marco
Re: Why is this topic locked: "Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update?"
  • 2007/5/20 9:37

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

well, i wonder why it is so difficult :
- to explain who is working on what
- to explain when core team will have time to work on that, so new coders will clearly identify which part are worth to contribute to.

About contributions :
- Forums and trackers are plenty of non integrated contributions, many have created their own core-addon (smartobject/framework/etc.)
- information is locked. How to contribute without knowing what is the direction? if it's so difficult to explain, is there no direction?

The XOOPS community has been 2 years patient (perhaps more), for sure it would it be polite to explain what's going on, nothing else.
Community want to help, nothing else. so don't say it does nothing. But for that it needs informations.

marco
Do synergy or die.

nachenko
  • 2007/5/20 10:22

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

People, please, this thread has escaped out of control.

Catzwolf, I know you're angry, don't know why, but ranting here is not doing any good. If dev team wants to listen you, they'll only do it if you say your things in a more positive way. If they don't wnat to listen, they won't listen no matter what you do. So don't waste your time ranting, it doesn't make make you any good. Looks Marco's post.

BTW, your WF-Sections saved my ass twice, thank you. I'll look into Zarilia when it grow up, a CMS that tries to be real multilanguage from the first line of code is a very interesting proposal for all european developers (like me).

Snow77, seriously, if you have nothing positive to say, say nothing. Don't fuel the fire.

Quote:
I don't care if 5, 10, 20 or 200 people leave XOOPS, if you don't like it you simply don't use it.

This is the same as stating "community size doesn't matters". Well, size DOES matter. And it matters a lot. In fact, the community working at all stages of the process from the core to the sites people do are the one and only resource XOOPS or any other CMS have. In the end, the community is the only thing that matters. The human resource is the only resource that exists in a software project like this.

So managing XOOPS public image is one probably the most important thing besides coding itself. Every post, and I mean EVERY POST all of us write have an effect ( tiny or huge) on XOOPS public image. Everybody that has a bit of respect on this project should think not only what they want to say, but how and where to say, and how this affects the way people perceive XOOPS. If you want to stay in XOOPS you HAVE TO think on all these things before writing a line. If you can't, think twice. THIS IS NOT THE MOMENT TO FUEL ANY RANT, this is the moment to diplomacy. If you can't find a polite way to say things, please think twice.

Anonymous
  • 2007/5/20 10:33

• Anonymous

• Since:

Another thread, another arguement.

Everyone makes some valid points and ita shame that people can't agree to disagree and close their individual conversations on amicable terms. This is what they would probably do in real life, but things are different on the 'net. These forums are no different to many others in this respect.

I suspect that I might be typical of lots of XOOPS users, i.e. chose this CMS because it does what I want. Nothing has changed in this regard.

Having invested a lot of my spare time building my website, moving to another CMS isn't an option for me (even if I wanted to, which I don't) unless things got really bad and core development actually did stop. Even then I'd think twice

I'm here for a while.

Thank you nachenko - your last paragraph sums up my view completely.

giba
  • 2007/5/20 10:53

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
I've never left XOOPS or had intentions to. And I trust the quality the next XOOPS version will have as long as Skalpa leaders the core.

I don't care if 5, 10, 20 or 200 people leave XOOPS, if you don't like it you simply don't use it.

Not is possible i ready here, sorry

Quote:

You left long time ago, I see no point in you returning to cause disturbance, you've already said what you had to say, so peace be with you and goodbye.

He (Catz) made very for xoops, never forgets this snow, respects the opnion that it placed. But not happy with this. All community XOOPS in world with problems and too users lose.

By: Giba sf.net 2.0.17 - 2007-05-17 12:21 This is impossible (question)

giba
  • 2007/5/20 11:06

• giba

• Just can't stay away

@ nachenko , thanks for it

Quote:

This is the same as stating "community size doesn't matters". Well, size DOES matter. And it matters a lot. In fact, the community working at all stages of the process from the core to the sites people do are the one and only resource XOOPS or any other CMS have. In the end, the community is the only thing that matters. The human resource is the only resource that exists in a software project like this.

So managing XOOPS public image is one probably the most important thing besides coding itself. Every post, and I mean EVERY POST all of us write have an effect ( tiny or huge) on XOOPS public image. Everybody that has a bit of respect on this project should think not only what they want to say, but how and where to say, and how this affects the way people perceive XOOPS. If you want to stay in XOOPS you HAVE TO think on all these things before writing a line. If you can't, think twice. THIS IS NOT THE MOMENT TO FUEL ANY RANT, this is the moment to diplomacy. If you can't find a polite way to say things, please think twice.

Really, i agree here.
Thanks Again nachenko

vaughan
  • 2007/5/20 11:16

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

If you want a confession as to who locked the topic. then that would be me. So to stop you blaming James or anyone else for that matter. you all know who now.

my reason: as quoted from that topic.

Quote:

on a side note. if anyone is planning on turning this topic into another dig at the devs or management team or anything at all that is not constructive or relevant to the topic title: "Xoops 2.3/2.4 or 3.0 update?" i'll close the topic completely.

I gave the explanation there of what would/could happen if the topic continued in it's flame war like it was doing. The fact is I have been working away a lot lately, so there are days that i'm not home till the weekend. when I do come home and am able to get on site again, I personally am getting sick of reading all the bickering, accusations, flaming and #OOPS# right offensive behaviour from people, even more so when the continued flaming was done by some members who are banned, or members who quit XOOPS a long time ago & only ever return to xoops.org in order to:

a) add fuel to an argument with which is no concern of theirs because they left XOOPS to build their own CMS or moved to Ono's cube.

b) promote other CMS that they are doing directly or indirectly through these arguments & flamewars.

after i gave that warning above regarding keeping the topic relevant to the title, i came back and saw a further 2 pages of arguments not related to the topic. So I locked the topic. I would suggest that if people want that topic re-opening (because it could have been a useful topic) then the argumentitive posts and all the bickering posts should be removed 1st in order to bring the topic back to just that & not another flame war post like this one has turned into!!!!!)

so there you go, the confession as you seem to request.

also to be quite honest I would lock this topic too if it carries on the way it is doing, and I will continue to lock topics where this kind of behaviour is occuring, because neither the arguments or fighting is in the BEST interests of xoops.org and by all accounts the questions have mainly all been answered. but on that note I think many people are too impatient and very demanding when they know that work in the background is actively being carried out in order to improve things around here.

gravedigger
  • 2007/5/20 11:33

• gravedigger

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/9 5

Quote:

vaughan "wrote":
also to be quite honest I would lock this topic too if it carries on the way it is doing, and I will continue to lock topics where this kind of behaviour is bla bla bla bla bla

And it's call a "moderator" ....

vaughan
  • 2007/5/20 11:37

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

harsh words coming from someone hiding behind yet another username.

and it's "he's a moderator" not it's a moderator, i'm a human not an object.

giba
  • 2007/5/20 11:37

• giba

• Just can't stay away

@vaughan, to leave the people to speak, will be troll, delete, else, reads because always it can appear something positive in everything this.

gravedigger
  • 2007/5/20 11:48

• gravedigger

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/9 5

Quote:

harsh words coming from someone hiding behind yet another username.

LOL
Are you talking of you ?
With your two official accounts, and all the others

Quote:

and it's "he's a moderator" not it's a moderator, i'm a human not an object.

"it" was used with reason.
You could do an EXCELLENT job in some countries where peoples can't speak

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits