msdana
Re: (X)HTML Validation
  • 2006/5/28 4:31

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

EDIT

JMorris, I believe you cleared it all up for me. No theme is really HTML valid.

I do have a test site, and no theme validates.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

JMorris
  • 2006/5/28 4:35

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Live homepage with valid code in all blocks (simple lorem text works well). Personally, I have a set of default templates I've modified to validate on the module indexes that I use for theme validation.

Hope that helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

msdana
  • 2006/5/28 4:36

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

Are you saying you do get a theme to validate?
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]

JMorris
  • 2006/5/28 4:38

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Every one I've coded in the last year, at least.

The reason you cannot get your themes to pass is because you are presenting Smarty code to the validator. This will never pass. You must put the theme on a live [testing] site if you ever want it to validate because the Smarty variables must be parsed.

Hope that helps.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

msdana
  • 2006/5/28 4:41

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

Thanks JMorris!

So, to get it to validate on my "test" site, I just make dummy blocks and work from that. Which means it's possible it won't validate on another user's site, correct?

Which finally answers my question of how to validate, with or without content. Thanks!

JMorris
  • 2006/5/28 4:45

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

msdana wrote:
Thanks JMorris!

So, to get it to validate on my "test" site, I just make dummy blocks and work from that. Which means it's possible it won't validate on another user's site, correct?

Yes, that is correct. Usually, the theme will not validate for the end user's site unless you supply a "valid" template set for every module on their site. Not very realistic.

Quote:

msdana wrote:
Which finally answers my question of how to validate, with or without content. Thanks!

No problem. Glad I could help.

Best Regards,

James

Bassman
  • 2006/5/28 4:50

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I have a testing site, with the standard News module, login and search blocks, and several "lorem ipsum" blocks for content. With all that as the "home"page, I can get themes to validate W3C XHTML and CSS. It's the output of some of the other modules that's not compliant :) It's what's visible on your page before login that is checked. The last 3 themes i've done validate OK with this setup.

msdana
  • 2006/5/28 4:54

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

Which is basically what JMorris is saying, one can get it to validate on their site, but it won't validate on another's site that has different modules/blocks.

I think saying it's validated doesn't really mean much, because the end user isn't going to be using the modules I used to validate, therefore negating the validation.

Bassman
  • 2006/5/28 10:51

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Sure, but don't you think that having a theme that validates is a good place to start for someone who is interested in getting their whole site to validate? At the very least, it's one part they don't have to worry about.

I should point out that only a few themes I have done prior to the most recent ones validate, or were even tested.

msdana
  • 2006/5/28 19:49

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
Sure, but don't you think that having a theme that validates is a good place to start for someone who is interested in getting their whole site to validate?

Yes, I agree with that.

I now understand that a theme can validate one site, but because of the differences on each site, it possibly won't validate on another's site. I guess I need to make it clear in future theme designs that though it validates on my site, it may not on the end users site.

My questions/concerns have been answered and I realize I am not responsible for a theme not validating on an end users site because of some modules. It's all clear now

Login

Who's Online

269 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 269

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits