mactoeknee
Re: Which version of Linux?
  • 2005/11/9 21:10

• mactoeknee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/26

I am sorry I wasn't more clear-- I was only trying to emphasize that this server would not be hooked directly to the Internet-- it will behind a hardware firewall and have no ports open to the Internet. I am concerned with internal hacking, but we're just K-8, and plans call for the lab the kids use to be put a different subnet from the teachers and office.

In addition, we will initially use the SIS for only for attendance, then add grade reporting to the office, and there will be no highly sensitive info on it. When the school sees the value in the system, we will raise money to get a better system (if necessary) and hire someone to do a security audit and help us secure it.

It's all baby steps to slow progress around here. Teachers just finally got e-mail this year.

Thanks

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/11/9 21:14

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Quote:

mactoeknee wrote:
It's all baby steps to slow progress around here.

Baby steps is good.

Quote:

Teachers just finally got e-mail this year.

Too bad Life was soooo much easier without it.

gediminasbyt

Quote:
Edit:
The Windows boxes that they are running on now work fine, "they" just think/feel that it isn't a secure NOS, dispite what anyone tells them.

Not knowing what you do you can make *x more insecure than win98. e.g. by doing samba shares, printing, NIS and by giving wrong permissions.

Any distro probably would not have too many problems to run that. Get a good processor and at least a gig of memory. If you want to get into extreme out of processor get sources and compile against your hardware, you can get 5-10% performance increase. But for that amount even rpm will be more than sufficient.

Just exit out from xwindows after you are done and you'll release lots of memory or use ssh.

Good luck.

Gediminas

mactoeknee
  • 2005/11/9 21:39

• mactoeknee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/26

Quote:

Beavis wrote:
Quote:

Teachers just finally got e-mail this year.

Too bad Life was soooo much easier without it.

I understand what you mean, but really, running down to the office to get notes was tedious and inefficient. Teachers can now also do web research from their desks instead of coming to the lab. Parents nowadays want to be able to e-mail teachers and BE e-mailed when students miss work, but we've already had parents e-mailing upset comments about their little angels, so some of the teachers don't want their addresses publicized!

That will change... it will have to. It's the new reality of school life-- the kids are always right, the teachers are always wrong, and the parents are always ready to complain - directly via e-mail.

T

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/11/9 21:47

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Quote:

gediminasbyt wrote:
get sources and compile against your hardware

Now that is beyond me... :)

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits