btesec
Re: Mass Email invitations module
  • 2008/6/3 15:35

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

Hello,
can anyone help trabis. Says he has samples maybe someone can give him a hand.

trabis
  • 2008/6/3 18:27

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I have a started but not ended invitations module. I stop working when I heard wishcraft was gonna do it. I only have classes to grab msn, gmail and yahoo. And the gmail one needs to be changed acordingly the gmail language. You cannot invite people from diferent countries because it wont work. It requires CURL to. Maybe we can find a better solution.

btesec
  • 2008/6/3 19:40

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

Hello Trabis,

In one of wishcraft posts he said he will not develop a module for this purpose but lace his effort on another module. Do a search here to find out.

So maybe you can continue with your effort on dev a mod for this purpose. I guarantee that others will help with this mod since it will be of valuable use to everyone, especially to those of us creating social like sites.

btesec

trabis
  • 2008/6/3 23:07

• trabis

• Core Developer

I have also other things to work know but when I got a little time I´ll clean what I have and let you try it.

trabis
  • 2008/6/10 18:55

• trabis

• Core Developer

Hi again, I have talked with Wishcraft and he gave me green light on this. I´ll merge his work on this with mine (already did most of it) and I´ll release a beta within one or two weeks. Keep an eye on this thread, if you have any sugestions please, visit xuups.com and share them!

btesec
  • 2008/6/10 21:27

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

Great news. I'll keep an eye for the beta and will surely test and report, ad suggest for improvement.

Thanks in advance. Let's do it for the Community.

btesec

trabis
  • 2008/6/22 17:44

• trabis

• Core Developer

Hi again,

At this moment contacts are being grabbed (gmail, hotmail and yahoo) and registered users are filtered and cannot be selected to recieve the invitation.
I would like to add a blacklist for people who don´t want to be invited anymore and do not want to register so they stop recieving emails. A link to add to blacklist should go along with the email I think.

Now I need sugestions in how to send the emais. I mean, if a user has 1000 contacts should 1000 emails be sent in a row? Will this be a good pratice? Will your hosting provider acept this? I have read somewhere that this was a bad move.

kerkyra
  • 2008/6/22 21:02

• kerkyra

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/14

hey mate, i think the best practice would be to send the emails with a short delay after each contact! Even with ten contacts if 20 users do it at the same time the hosting company might see it as spam. Not sure how long would be the optimum delay time though!I would love to help as i can with it though! There is a php script which include functions for gmail, aol, yahoo etc to grab the contacts i could try and find it if you think it could be useful to you. I think its called contact grabber.
www.guidemap.gr - Beta is out...

btesec
  • 2008/7/14 15:32

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

I think allowing the user to select his contacts, using check box would be good. So he can decide whom to invite. And let him read a max invitation that can be sent at one time. Have a counter that would say you have 9 more people to invite in this session. Of course the max could be determined from the admin area of the module.

Thanks trabis.

trabis
  • 2008/7/14 18:16

• trabis

• Core Developer

Hi btesec, at this moment it is like this:
There is a form where user enters the email and password.
System detects what is the email provider and runs the correct script to grab contents.
A list is then displayed with user contacts.
User can choose from the list what contacts to invite.
Users already registered in the site cannot be selected, username is displayed along the already registered message.

What I like to do is the following:
Emails go to a pending list in the database.
A cron job is set to send a number of emails in a time period set by admin.
Contacts pending for invitation cannot be sellected for another invitation. A pending message should be used.
Within the email should go a link to add to blacklist, just incase the recipient dos not want to recieve futher invitations. Blacklisted emails cannot be selected for invitation. A blacklisted message should be displayed.

That is what I am planing to do. I think is a good system. When a user sees the invitation form there should also be a message saying that invitations are temporarly stored in the database for processing but not the user email or password.
We could also have a database just to log the number of invitations sent by each user so we can use it with userpoints module or something.

That is it.

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits