Could not send mail to mathecon.
Language string failed to load: instantiate
Could not send mail to test.
Could not send mail to test bruger.
Could not send mail to test2.
Sending message completed.

Only.... If I'm lucky - only one user resives the mail.

AlienHand
Re: no email nor notification using v2.0.14
  • 2006/8/28 10:44

• AlienHand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/12

Quote:

djayko wrote:

Sending Emails to a group functions troubleless.

I use smtpauth.

Are you 100% sure?

How do you use smtpauth?

Regards!

msdana
Re: no email nor notification using v2.0.14
  • 2006/8/28 11:04

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
How do you use smtpauth?

In Mail Setup > Mail delivery method, select SMTPAuth then provide SMTP hosts (*usually* mail.yourdomain.com), your SMTP Username and SMTP Password.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Daigoro
Something's fishy with email sending from newer xoops versions...
  • 2006/8/28 22:17

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

I've been doing some further testing of the problems with sending notification (and other) emails expierenced by Alienhand and many others of later versions of Xoops.

I've tested four systems:
xoops 2.0.? : xoops.org
xoops 2.0.6 : djvf.dk
xoops 2.0.14: tegneserielogen.dk
xoops 2.0.14: mathecon.dk

Both xoops.org and djvf.dk uses phpmailer 1.65, and the others uses phpmailer 1.73. (As stated in the X-Mailer: mail header).

The error I've noticed has to do with the headers of the send email. (More details further down).
I found that the error isn't present on neither xoops.org nor djvf.dk, but the other two sites are both showing signs of the error. And one is seriously affected by it.

Since djvf.dk and tegneserielogen.dk is both running on the same server, I've concentrated on that one to try to do some crude debugging.
I simply tried to exchange the 1.65 and the 1.73 version of phpmailer to see if the error would move. Nothing happend.
Then I also tried to exchange the xoopsmultimailer, but again the error persisted.
So now I'm wondering where else the difference can be hidden. Perhaps the notification system, but it's harder for me to trace.

Well, it's time to go into some more details about the error, and why it's working for some and not for others.

To help, I've extracted some header information from notification emails send from the four systems:
(Slightly edited, to prevent spam)
Quote:

djvf.dk:
Delivered-To: fsteff@gxxil.com
Return-Path: <fsteff@gxxil.com>
To: fsteff@gxxil.com
From: =?iso-8859-1?B<blahblah>?W2RaF0=?= <fsteff@gxxil.com>
X-Mailer: phpmailer [version 1.65]
X-Mailer: PHP/4.4.2

xoops.org
Return-Path: <apache@www.xoops.org>
To: fsteff@gxxil.com
X-Mailer: phpmailer [version 1.65]

tegneserielogen.dk:
Return-Path: <postmaster@tegneserielogen.dk>
X-Authentication-Warning: webserv18.cliche.dk: nobody set sender to postmaster@tegneserielogen.dk using -f
X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]

Mathecon.dk
Delivered-To: 329-spam@allweb.dk
Return-Path: <postmaster@mathecon.dk>
To: spam@allweb.dk
X-Mailer: PHPMailer [version 1.73]
X-Mailer: PHP/4.4.4

The important part to notice here, is the Return-Path. The general rule is that it should be equal to the sender, but as you can see, it's not the case in three out of four of the above.
I won't try to explain the contents for xoops.org, but it appears to be working so never mind.
tegneserielogen.dk and mathecon.dk on the other hand are quiet interesting. Where did the postmaster@ come from?
I checked all files in the XOOPS instalation and the database, but it's not there.
Then I started searching the web, only to find out that php's mail() function (in combination with sendmail) sometimes will insert this address if the return-path isn't allready filled by the script.
Bummer.
Why isn't the return-path allready set? (I still haven't found out.)

The header problems in turn, gives some more serious problems.
Of the two affected sites above, one is very lightly affected, and the other is very heavy affected.

tegneserielogen.dk is very lightly affected. The only real proof that it's affected is the warning thats inserted into the emails headers.

Mathecon.dk, on the other hand, is very heavy affected. Only one email every five (5) minutes is send.
It turns out the web-provider has a very sensitive smap-filter active. If it senses a mail that appears like spam, it will disable/disrupt the scripts (in this case phpmailer) access to send emails for 5 minutes. On other words, if a script is decleared to be a spam-sender, only the first email is send - all other emails from that script for the next five minutes is trashed!!!
One of the spam-triggers is if the return-path isn't filled with a vaild email-address, and since postmaster@mathecon.dk does not exists, it's not valid.

Well. Now we "just" need to find a fix for this.
Please help.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Daigoro
Re: Somethings fishy with email sending from newer xoops versions...
  • 2006/9/2 10:20

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

I did some further debugging, and found that there appears to be more then one mail entry-point, and they all produces different (and sometimes duplicated or missing) headers.
Different modules and even different parts of the core send out more or less defective emails.
The entire xoopsmailer and xoopsmultimailer code should be scrutinised and fixed.

I've added more details to the bug I've opened at SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1550834&group_id=41586&atid=430840

I hope we can have this problem fixed as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Peekay
  • 2006/9/4 23:56

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Er... has this been fixed? I mean, is XOOPS 2.0.14 not usable if users want email notifications?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Peekay
  • 2006/9/5 8:15

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Bump.

No notifications sent for me using smtp + localhost, which has worked fine with previous versions. Is there a fix for this?

McNaz
  • 2006/9/5 9:26

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

I am not sure if this relates to your problem but I had a similar issue where my host's EXIM server would reject my emails due to an invalid RETURN on my outgoing notifications.

I tracked this down to having specified an incorrect address in System Admin -> Preferences -> Mail Setup. Both From address and From name should be filled in. The From address needs to be a valid email on the hosting machine (at least for EXIM). I had another email server reject emails due to me not having filled in anything in the From name field.

Again, HTH.

Cheers.

Peekay
  • 2006/9/5 9:33

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Hi McNaz.

I have the problem on my localhost PC at the moment. The 'From' name and address are the ones auto-filled by XOOPS on installation 'Webmaster' and 'Webmaster @ domain.com'. I haven't changed my IIS server config, so something is different.

McNaz
  • 2006/9/5 9:42

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
I haven't changed my IIS

I stopped reading as soon as I saw IIS . Hope you find a solution soon.

Cheers.

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits