toddherrold
Re: Upgrading from 2.10 to 2.2 major problems

What exactly does "stable" mean in programmer parlance? I haven't had whitescreen errors, and it is true that numerous "3rd" party modules do not work well with 2.2. . .

But there are lots of features in 2.2, especially those related to the member profiles module (new to 2.2) that don't work properly. PM link missing in profiles, registered users being unable to update display names and real names, etc. which have been widely reported here.

Not sure if the member profile module is considered part of the core or not. But it's features are key to the new release and they don't work for a lot of us.

JMorris
Re: Upgrading from 2.10 to 2.2 major problems
  • 2005/7/30 5:18

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
Not sure if the member profile module is considered part of the core or not.

Unless I am mistaken, it is not.

During installation, you have to choose whether or not extended profiles and private messaging is installed. I believe the core team is striving to make XOOPS even more "extensible" by modularizing features that were once tightly integrated. I think this is an excellent idea. On the downside, there are bound to be some growing pains while the new API is tested out on a wide variety of platforms with a wide variety of configurations. Expecting perfection out of a major revision is a bit unreasonable. Even good ol' M$ has to go back and fix some things that may have slipped under the microscope.

In essence, "stable" means that the core developers, and beta testers did not find anything else that posed a serious functionality or security flaw. That, out-of-the-box, without "third-party" modules, it works the way it is expected to work.

In all fairness, the XOOPS roadmap for the API has been published for some time and is easily accessible by anyone. If third-party modules do not work with v2.2, it's because either the module developer has not finished converting their module to the new API, or that the module developer has stopped development of their module.

All of the above is just my humble opinion, please take it as such.

Best Regards,

JMorris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits