Mithrandir
Re: gaming ladder or ranking system, anything

Some people excel in making "bridges" between scripts, but I have found it to be annoying, sub-standard solutions since they are suddenly neither fish nor bird (... Danish expression, disregard that )

What I mean is that you will suddenly have a module that

1) Cannot be updated directly when the script it is bridging to is updated - since some files will have changed
2) Most likely will require some XOOPS core hacking in order to work so you cannot just update XOOPS, either
3) Has two user tables
4) Has two database layers (if you are lucky)
5) Has two authentication methods

I don't know what I can do about it for 2.2 - but we will do our best to get something good into the design of XooSphere that will facilitate this.

Lance_
  • 2005/5/27 17:44

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Without touching core files, just be making a module, it should be possible to have it register on the other software, and logon. Of course this will require the 2 DBs and all the software is still there, just that bridge, like you said.

I think the module would need the brunt of the coding so as not to affect any core files on either software, although I know the main register and logon functions on the second software would need some modification.

Well, just a thought anyway, I think it might still be a plausible way to go for some integration until all modules are effectively available within xoops.

techmob
  • 2005/5/27 17:48

• techmob

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/4 2

hi lance yes thats the sort of thing that would help me!

cheers

interesting listening to you both!

Mithrandir

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Some people excel in making "bridges" between scripts, but I have found it to be annoying, sub-standard solutions since they are suddenly neither fish nor bird (... Danish expression, disregard that )

Whoopsie, this came out wrong.

What I meant was that the bridges I have tried to make became annoying, sub-standard solutions.

I have seen very good examples of how a bridge can work well - but they are far between and due to the complexity, it is extremely difficult to get it right.

techmob
  • 2005/5/27 17:53

• techmob

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/4 2

Mithrandir i'm sure it was you who did the tpl league stats for xoops

i am using that now, works a treat for a football league

Mithrandir

yes, but that is also converted completely into a XOOPS module (and later refined by Risto) and is not a bridge - besides, it doesn't have user management.

Lance_
  • 2005/5/27 18:09

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

@Mith,
I agree that this is not the ideal undertaking. Maybe when I know more programming.

@Tech
I PM'ed you a little info.

blo0d
  • 2005/6/5 18:20

• blo0d

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/5 1

Quote:

techmob wrote:
anything like a gaming system, ladder or ranking systeam

i know there is a team module, but thats not what i am after

i am after some sort of ranking system like www.mygamingladder.com i have this script but dont know how to intergrate it with xoops...or the nuke ladder again, i have this but don't know how to conver to xoops.. so i am looking for a ranking system that will work for xoops. i have searched and read allot about this and it seems everyone wants one but there isn't any

is there one in secret?

can you send me the sql? mgl_db.sql <- i already have the script but i miss sql file :\

mail:
blo0d@netcabo.pt

Its urgent, i really need that file to start a Portuguese Ladder..
can anyone help me? :\

locobans
  • 2005/8/26 6:09

• locobans

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/26

Quote:

techmob wrote:
anything like a gaming system, ladder or ranking systeam

i know there is a team module, but thats not what i am after

i am after some sort of ranking system like www.mygamingladder.com i have this script but dont know how to intergrate it with xoops...or the nuke ladder again, i have this but don't know how to conver to xoops.. so i am looking for a ranking system that will work for xoops. i have searched and read allot about this and it seems everyone wants one but there isn't any

is there one in secret?

Hi...

I been looking for the sql file of this script...i have it myself but lost the sql file...so i can't run any installations...

jobro
  • 2005/9/17 4:48

• jobro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/17

G'day!

I also realy need this mgl_db.sql, I have the rest of the files but not the sql folder.

My Email is:

josh@waega.net

Regards,

Josh Browne.

Login

Who's Online

208 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 208

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits