Alan-A
Re: Feature Requests : My 2 Cents
  • 2004/11/18 17:26

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

its good to have this sort of example data, Brash.

As a relative newbie, I can see that the more blocks and images I have in a page then the longer it'll take to load.
Therefore if I think a lot of my visitors are likely to be using analog modems, then it's a good idea not to pack each page full of blocks.

What I'd like to know is, is there a way of being more specific about the number of requests and the html code in my page/templates? Can I say that each img tag will cause a request? Or how about Forms or Tables or external css or js pages?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

brash
  • 2004/11/18 21:35

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Alan,

Yes there is. Do a google search for "IBM Page Detailer Basic" and you should be taken to IBM site where you'll be able to download it for free, although you'll have to register first. This tool only works with Internet Explorer, but it is really really helpful for perfromance tuning. What it does is after you load a page in IE it will give you a graphical timeline representation of how the page loaded including each HTTP request. You can also drill down to an amazing level (far more than what is probably useful in most cases) of the loading timeline of each http request, showing things such as http requests size, time to connect, delivery duration, DNS lookup times and dozens more. About the only negative thing I could possibly say about IBM Page detailer is that it only works with IE, and doesn't have any report exportation functionality. But then again, it is free .

This deals with the physical server to client delivery side of things. For a trully tuned website you'll also have to put in a good deal of effort into tuning your server to process all these requests in minimal time. Have a read of this thread as it contains a lot of good discussion regarding getting the most out of Xoops.

ewonline
  • 2004/11/20 19:22

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/17

Brash, I set the thing to debug mode, and it shows that the blocks arent caching
I set them to cache, but they dont for some reason

Do you think you can help me fix that. I can give you admin XOOPS access and ftp, can you fix it?

Alan-A
  • 2004/11/20 21:11

• Alan-A

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

Hi,

Many thanks for the info Brash - I'm sure it's not only of interest to me. I need to work now - yes, I know it's weekend - I'll follow this up later.

Alan

ewonline
  • 2004/11/20 23:20

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
P.S Have you tried the cache hack so that content is only updated when something changes? Do this and you should only have a handful of MySQL queries to process on each page load, and script execution times should be almost non existant.

Where can I find that?

ewonline
  • 2004/11/20 23:20

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
P.S Have you tried the cache hack so that content is only updated when something changes? Do this and you should only have a handful of MySQL queries to process on each page load, and script execution times should be almost non existant.

Where can I find that?

ewonline
  • 2004/11/20 23:41

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

I spent sometime working on the site
And now its so much faster!
0.19 Seconds | 25 Queries
Using your mod

Thank you very much for all your help.
Can u tell me the link to that redo cache only on change?

brash
  • 2004/11/21 3:48

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Sorry ewonline, sort of lost track of this tread at some stage . Very happy to see you gave the XOOPS caching system a proper chance, and no doubt you are too now . As for the "Update Module Cache in real time" hack, I don't know . It used to be in the downloads section, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore since the site upgrade . About the only refrence I can find on it is in this thread.

ewonline
  • 2004/11/21 22:43

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

This is the old link
https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=28&lid=701

But, its dead obviously

ewonline
  • 2004/12/2 22:54

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

I was able to get the page gen down to
0.09 Seconds | 8 Queries
Thats just rocks

I was using the Statistics module, which does include_once(...
That uses like 6 queries and is slow..
So, I moved it from the header.php to footer.php, so it does it at the end

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits