mikeh
Re: Storing imgs, in database insead of uploading 'em
  • 2004/8/15 17:40

• mikeh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/18

does this method disencourage "hot linking" ??
never looked into it deep, but would have thought it would

grandfso
Re: Storing imgs, in database insead of uploading 'em
  • 2004/8/16 17:09

• grandfso

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/8 1

Quote:

tedsmith wrote:
I've done a little research on this now and it seems that there are two distinct advantges and disadvantages.

Advantages : It gets around PHP safemode file
system issues and filesystem rights/restrictions in general makeing the code a bit more portable because you don't have to think twice about the rights management of the server beyond the database. However, with XOOPS this does not apply (I don't think).

It makes backups easier because you don't have to backup a filesystem and database - just the DBase

Disadvantages : It is apparently slower to access binary data from a database rather than the file system so binary/blob data retrieval from a database can be the bottleneck of a site, especially if it has heavy traffic.

MySQl recommend useing the filesystem for what it was meant for - storing files. They mention it here:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Tips.html

I think for now I'm gonna stick with the filesystem, and then if I need to in the future I'll convert to BLOBing

Cheers

Ted

I will have to think about it. Now im not quite sure if its good idea to store imgs in database, but i am also afraid, that ill loose much of my limited webspace for screenshots :(

However, thank you Ted, this information was major.

regards,
grandfso

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits