DonXoop
Re: 3 Different Dotcoms (One) Database...

Interesting. Having flexible cross-share options would be great. Share some things and keep the rest unique. Great.

Cloning sites and using the identical db sounds easy enough with the few caveats of avatars etc. The themes would be unique (or cloned too). I wonder if there are any side effects of multiple sites and session tracking. I've run non XOOPS sites against a common database without problems but I wasn't doing db session management. I've had those on the same server and different servers with only the db common. MySQL has no problems with that even if the db user is the same or different. One example was to have a different site depending if you were coming from the outside or inside. Different front end, same backend, different db users (outside site db user had limited rights for security).

It would be easy enough to test. Clone a site several times and use a test db just in case. Make several virtual servers all talking to the same db. Mix well and watch the sparks.

script_fu

Can someone translate what herko just said no disrespect intended. Im so lost and need to pull of this mod so bad. Can someone post some code on the prefix stuff and where to place it. Anything else that might seem like second nature to you guys/gals could you post for us newbies to understand I/we need exact code example.

Please help me understand...

script_fu

mylinks module and partners module is the most important to me and the ones I need to share the most. The time it would save being able to update just one mylinks instead of ten would be unbelivable.

DonXoop

I don't think the theories mentioned have been implemented yet.

In your case as a quick fix you could do a MySQL 'Replace Into' query to populate another database with the most current. I know this works with MyLinks.

How handy are you with MySQL?
It would be something like:

Quote:
mysql> REPLACE INTO TargetDB.xoops_mylinks_cat SELECT * from SourceDB.xoops_mylinks_cat;

And the same for the other MyLinks tables. This can be a script file and rerun anytime to sync things up.

script_fu

This works... Dup sites across the board...

If all you want to do is have 3 domains and share ALL info on all 3 sites, then you install them all, and edit the mainfiles to match the database info exactly (so they all share one database, AND prefix). I'm not sure what needs to be done at one site, and what is done on all 3 (avatars are uploaded to the domain's /uploads folder, so you can't share those cross-site, for instance), but it should get you a looong way...

script_fu

If you mod the mainfile to another sites data base it pulls all the content period. I would click one thing on one site just to find the same thing checked on the other... Wild...

DonXoop

You have to consider things like avatars though. If you are sharing a common db then users will have records saying an avatar (and maybe some other things) exist but really don't when on a secondary site.

If you are running *nix and also share a physical server then you could also symlink the /uploads directory and keep that synced as well.

Smilies and avatars are two things I can think of right away.

But I'm glad something is working for you already.

script_fu

Thanks for the encouragement don! Dup sites are not what I want but still neat. Can I ask you a question... What were you useing to pull of multiple sites with one back end? Im trying to learn this. I need just a lil nudge in the right direction...

BTW love the subaru's

DonXoop

Quote:

script_fu wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement don! Dup sites are not what I want but still neat. Can I ask you a question... What were you useing to pull of multiple sites with one back end? Im trying to learn this. I need just a lil nudge in the right direction...

BTW love the subaru's

So you popped onto my site.. Cool. Yeah, we like the Scoobys up here in the frozen north. Only time I really enjoy driving. A blizzard on a lonely country twisty road is the best

I'm not sure of your question though. What I used to populate a second database or what servers?

I'll do both: I'm using Linux/Apache with SSH/SFTP access. And a command line client most of the time with MySQL. Once you script a query you just run it and be done with it. GUI just gets in the way and slows down the job.

We need to start with what you have and what options you have for connectivity. I have my own boxes so I have lots of choices. If you can get at least VPN access then you can do lots of tricks. You could run a devel server at home with the db and content at the main site. for just one.

script_fu

Lost this post... Okay trying to make sence of it again...
I still would love to pull this lil trick off...

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits