Re: Xoops modules license
  • 2004/8/4 18:25

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

jmass wrote:
From the GPL:

6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.

I read "You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein." as somthing stopping restricting the usage under GPL.

You may charge all you want, but can not restrict my right to change the code.

JMass

Edit -

4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such parties remain in full compliance.

Also relevant.

That is the misconception with this license, I the author am not a third party here. This states that the third party may not impose further restrictions on the software from the orginal party.

jmass
Re: Xoops modules license
  • 2004/8/4 18:30

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Yeah... what he said.

Seriously (This is a serious matter), you can not restrict the redistribuion of the work. Even requiring a tag line at the bottom of the module output is against the GPL.

The GPL is also very clear bout your rights regarding software that is based on GPL work but illegally redistributed under a more restrictive license. The parties who recieve the derivitive work still have a GPL license to it, and the party who imposed the restrictions have no license to the original work or it's derivitives (even though they created the derivitive) They accepted the GPL of the original work and must apply it to the derivitave.

You may be the author of the derivitive work but are the third party of the original! So by definition, your module is a dirivitve work of XOOPS if it calls any code coverd by the GPL. It therefore MUST be GPL as well. No restriction.

JMass

Edit - from: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLModuleLicense

If I add a module to a GPL-covered program, do I have to use the GPL as the license for my module?

The GPL says that the whole combined program has to be released under the GPL. So your module has to be available for use under the GPL.

But you can give additional permission for the use of your code. You can, if you wish, release your program under a license which is more lax than the GPL but compatible with the GPL. The license list page gives a partial list of GPL-compatible licenses.

Login

Who's Online

462 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 462

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits