Bender
Re: How to upload a file using mydownloads???
  • 2004/6/20 15:14

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

I´am but that might be the problem of only reading a text when you have no idea of the motion someone is in when saying it.

So if you just read that 'really crappy" it could come over like it is meant like that.

No harm done.

carnuke
  • 2004/6/20 15:26

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Mydownloads will not upload files in its current version. However there is a module THAT DOES !! Jan304 ported Invision Power File Manager to XOOPS. and it DOES work. Very nice security features also.

Its very different to mydownloads, so it may not be yuour taste, more of a FTP really. Anyway, here is the link off my site, No signups, just the zip file.http://houseofstrauss.co.uk/files/ipfm_v1.0.1_final_xoops_version.zip

BTW the only thing worth mentioning here is take care with the installation ... there are lots of files to CHMOD.

Richard

intel352
  • 2004/6/20 15:32

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

got an example of it in use anywhere?

i remember playing with it when Invision first released it, it's good for users having their own place to upload files, but as for a download system.. at least, at that time, wasn't that pretty, lol

Catzwolf
  • 2004/6/20 15:49

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

vinit wrote:
wf download is really crapy, needs lot of work done, basically what it expects is that download section will only have softwares which is not the only case always. Athough the way it presents the things is too good. but what i would prefere is having a upload facility with mydownloads ( call it files management module)

vinit

I however agree that this module in its current state is far from stable and in some case may not work as expected and your comments will not help in its future development. The only good criticism is constructive criticism and your post is here is not constructive one little bit.

Would you like to outline how we could develop this module further? What is useful and what is not? What is its weakness and strengths? What bugs did you come across that affects its usability and possible new features that you would like to see introduced with further development?

I am afraid that ‘its crappy’ doesn’t quite cut it here.

Liquid

The WF-Section Webmaster

intel352
  • 2004/6/20 16:02

• intel352

• Module Developer

just an fyi

in preliminary testing, i can't submit an upload from the user side form. it gives an error screen which redirects instantly to a broken url (looks like it's redirecting to modules/mydownloads/0), with no time to read it.

(this is wf-downloads 2.2.. should've released as a beta )

Catzwolf
  • 2004/6/20 16:08

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
just an fyi

in preliminary testing, i can't submit an upload from the user side form. it gives an error screen which redirects instantly to a broken url (looks like it's redirecting to modules/mydownloads/0), with no time to read it.

Yes we know about this one. It has been fixed with many others bugs that we discovered while testing the code.

Quote:

(this is wf-downloads 2.2.. should've released as a beta )

some you win and some you.... ;)=

davidl2
  • 2004/6/20 16:10

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I've basically been using a standard php module, in a user defined block - which is only visible to members of a particular group.

Its a bodge - but it works.. but the files have to be added manually

vinit
  • 2004/6/20 17:04

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

Quote:
Athough the way it presents the things is too good

Looks like only the negative things catch the fire and not the positive ones, well i accept that i should have made more clear about why i called it crappy, reasons

1. Failed to get installed in more than one go.
2. The preferences part doesnt allow modifications to things that where hardcoded, like license type etc.
3. It was stictly built with the concentration on using it as a module to share softwares, plugins, themes etc. So there was no space left for its global application in areas like sharing of documents, audio video etc, as this things generally dont call for licnese types, platform etc.
4. could not find any progress bar showing whether file is being uploading or hanged etc.
5. restiction on upload didnt work, i was able to upload a file of 2.1mb where as resticiton was set to 2mb

intel352
  • 2004/6/20 17:10

• intel352

• Module Developer

installation worked fine for me

also, 2.1mb on your pc might not be a true 2.1mb, which might suggest why it accepted it

Catzwolf
  • 2004/6/20 20:53

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Looks like only the negative things catch the fire and not the positive ones, well i accept that i should have made more clear about why i called it crappy, reasons

So basically what you’re saying is that this module doesn't actually meet your requirements? Well in that case if that where the case many of us would be quoting most modules as crappy. A bit unfair =)

Quote:

1. Failed to get installed in more than one go.

You are the first person to have stated this. So in what way did you find it difficult to install this module?

Quote:

2. The preferences part doesnt allow modifications to things that where hardcoded, like license type etc.

I believe that most modules (even the original XOOPS downloads) will fall under this category. It is hard for a developer to consider what and should not be considered changeable in the preference section.

The fact is this, where as a developer do we stop adding options to a script or module?

Quote:

3. It was stictly built with the concentration on using it as a module to share softwares, plugins, themes etc. So there was no space left for its global application in areas like sharing of documents, audio video etc, as this things generally dont call for licnese types, platform etc.

Neither does the XOOPS Download module with most of these. WF-Downloads is work in progress just like you will find with all other modules.

Quote:

4. could not find any progress bar showing whether file is being uploading or hanged etc.

Ah talking of progress ;)=

Now I would assume that you are not a developer or you would not be stating this one. =) PHP is a server side language and that is all it is.

This would require a persistent connection to http where one does not exist and because PHP is a server side language it will open a connection and at the end closes it. There is just no way to determine the size of a file client side. Unless using Java applets or activex controls, which could be considered as a security issue.

Quote:

5. restiction on upload didnt work, i was able to upload a file of 2.1mb where as resticiton was set to 2mb

The difference between what we would consider as 1 meg and what the computer determines as one meg is a number of 48576. That is why you where able to upload a file of 2.1 meg.

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits