Peekay
Re: Module Recipe
  • 2012/4/12 9:01

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

On topic - I always though the 'Recette' module was particularly good as recipe contributors could build their recipe using items from a list of common ingredients and also add an ingredient to the list if it wasn't already there.

Users could then pick, for example, 'mustard' from the list and see all the recipes made with mustard.

This is really great if all you have in the fridge is mustard
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Anonymous
  • 2012/4/12 9:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

A Dutch photographer used crowdfunding using twitter to get an Android app developed last week. He needed about 650 euros, within a week this target was reached and the free app is on google play now.

Benefit he had is the fact he is a well known photographer posting daily pictures made in the city of Amsterdam, so people knew what they paid for. Translating successful crowdfunding like this to xoops modules could work by asking website visitors to donate for nice new functionality. Of course this only works when having a popular existing site.

Peekay
  • 2012/4/12 9:43

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

flipse wrote:

Benefit he had is the fact he is a well known photographer posting daily pictures made in the city of Amsterdam, so people knew what they paid for...

Exactly. It would be foolish to donate to an individual unless they had a track record of delivering consistent high quality (like this photographer).

With a bounty-based project that any developer can pitch for, investors can be certain they'll get value for their money. If a developer picks up the challenge but fails to deliver a fully working solution, the money will stay in the pot.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

timgno
  • 2012/4/12 9:48

• timgno

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/21

Quote:
On some mobile phone sites they have what they call a "bounty" for people to put money in towards a goal. When someone completes the project that the bounty has been setup for then the bounty is paid to that person.

Of course the idea is good, but you have to build a module or application that you can make work in this way without loss of time and money, and that works for all developers.

I had already talked about this idea chatting with wishcraft, now I don't know if he has started a project like this, we should ask him

timgno
  • 2012/4/16 14:47

• timgno

• Module Developer

See this site for module recipe

chefry
  • 2013/3/13 12:51

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

I'm not sure how I missed this thread but...

I have over 25,000 recipes in one database with Publisher.

In my 35 years as a chef, and 14 years publishing recipes online, there is nothing better than "Publisher"

It's easy to use, versatile, and will give you any recipe for any ingredients you put in the search box.

I tried 'Recette' several times and it was CRAP!

Stick with Publisher, it's the only reason I use xoops

timgno
  • 2013/3/13 13:21

• timgno

• Module Developer

Quote:
I tried 'Recette' several times and it was CRAP!

It is very likely that this module is to be redrawn, so we need the help of experts in the field that give us developers the right information to improve our modules.

You could, for example, make a list of what is needed to strengthen this module, do you think?

chefry
  • 2013/3/13 17:56

• chefry

• Home away from home

biggest problem is the number of fields

one field for quantity
one field for measurement
one fiend for item
etc

it's too bulky and cumbersome to use.

i can cut and paste a recipe in Publisher in about 30 seconds or less

in recette, about 5 minutes or more

redheadedrod

As a programmer I look at what you talk about here and unless you are willing to take the time it takes to enter in the ingredients and such you are not going to be happy with any program that is specific to recipes. It looks like you are happy just using what I am going to call a picture of the recipe instead of having an entry in a database making a sort of Rolodex of recipes.

As a programmer looking at this problem I can imagine ways to make the GUI possibly more intuitive but doesn't replace the need to provide for each ingredient, its measurements and quantity.

If I look at bigger recipe sites such as www.recipes.com someone spends the time to enter in each field.

Depending on the method your recipes are actually stored in there may be a way to import them so you can review them and then store them in the database but you really need to have a way to get them into a database one way or another. And I can not imagine hand entering 25,000 recipes...

chefry
  • 2013/3/14 14:42

• chefry

• Home away from home

back in the days before CMS my original site was hard coded html. every recipe was hand coded by me. each recipe had it's own html page, linked back to a category list, linked back to an category index, linked back to a main page. and every category had it's own subdirectory. and in those days it was one of the most popular recipe websites, 3500 hits a day. and was usually in the top 3 of any recipe search on google or yahoo. it was down for a couple of years and now it's back. i'm up to an average of 8000+ hits a week

when i decided to go CMS i stripped out the graphics coding in the html pages, and cut n pasted each recipe into smart... (don't remember the name) and later into publisher.

It works great, it's easy, it's fast, and it does everything other recipe programs do in a fraction of the time. it has photos, categories, searches can be done by ingredients, etc.

the only thing it doesn't do is scale a recipe for different quantities. but most people can do that in their head anyway.

I probably would have gone to joomla a long time ago except they don't have anything like publisher.

fields for quantity, measure, etc are not needed.

The only thing a good recipe program or module needs is what is already offered in publisher.

Name, category, image, text. that's all

the only thing i don't like about publisher has to do with Block summary. in it's previous incarnation as Smartwhatever the Block summary would show up when you looked at a recipe. in it's new incarnation the Block summary only appears in the block, not in the item when you look at it.

So I had to use phpmyadmin to look at the fields, find all the records that has something in the block summary, then cut n paste form the block summary into the text of the record.

Right now I'm doing a complete review of the website, fixing problems which requires me to look at each recipe (27,000+ and counting). I've spent 2 weeks on it and i probably have another 2 weeks of work, then it's perfect. And I would never be able to do it that fast with any other program.

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits