Dave_L
QA Smoketests
  • 2004/12/27 13:50

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I think the first, or one of the first items on the agenda is to devise a format/template for module smoketests.

Ackbarr and Herko have suggested that the Mozilla Smoketests may provide a good starting point.

I've also outlined some ideas in this Roadmap.

One way to start is to draft an example smoketest for one of the most common modules. And then we can discuss it, and make some refinements.

smdcom
Re: QA Smoketests

I think the Mozilla Smoketests is a good starting point. For brief idea what is Mozilla Smoketests. Go To Mozilla Smoke Test FAQ. But one question, are you just focusing on module developement? How about theme?

Mithrandir

Not answering for Dave, but I personally think that there are more useless modules out there than there are bad themes.

Dave_L
  • 2004/12/27 15:29

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I was planning on starting with modules, but there's no reason not to include themes as well. If someone would like to work on a template and examples for theme smoketests, that would be a good contribution.

irmtfan
  • 2004/12/27 15:42

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

modules are more important and we must have as many as OS and imvironment possible for test
local module installing is not enough for a compelet testing and an important thing is we always must pay attention to module conflict.
just some of my points
thanks and happy new year

Marco
  • 2004/12/27 17:28

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Hy,

First, I'm glad to be with you !

Mith or Herko, could you first confirm that Core Modules Concept will be left and precise when ? In next upcoming 2.1 ?

If so, is System module in our scope ?

What about testing plateform, as told irmtfan ? Which rule shall we set ?
Always to test modules under the 2 last version of LAMP plateform ?

I use some steps as you probably do when I test/debug modules. It's a quick contribution to our smoketest methodology :
Light explanation :
0/ Validate xoops_version file
1a/ Test module installation
1b/ Test module upgrade (refresh in admin)
1c/ Test update script (i.e no data are lost)
2/ Play with module under debug mode
- Test admin configuration
- Test use of smarty variables
- Test bloc configuration
3/ Validate translation directories
it's a quick list, I know, but it's the "methodology" I usually use... I'm shure you make other/better tests too !

Is module ergonomy in our scope ?

About module conflicts ?
Shall we use a standard configuration, e.g. news+newbb+wfsection+etc...
it relies on existence of core module in future XOOPS packages...

just my 2cnt
marco

Mithrandir

Quote:
Mith or Herko, could you first confirm that Core Modules Concept will be left and precise when ? In next upcoming 2.1 ?

If so, is System module in our scope ?
XOOPS 2.1 and onwards will NOT have News, Newbb, Contact, XoopsMembers etc. modules in them.

The System module will persist, but in another form - as individual modules; one module for managing groups, one for managing blocks etc.

So quite possibly, the term "Core Module" will change meaning from "Module included with the Core" to "Module for managing the Core"

This will open up for other third-party modules replacing core functionality such as the above mentioned groups management, blocks management etc. and those modules will require certification just as any other module. However, I don't find it useful to go through the current System module parts, as we know they are not up to shape and they will be changed in the future. If not by the core developers, then by disgruntled third-party developers

Marco
  • 2004/12/27 17:44

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

Quote:

However, I don't find it useful to go through the current System module parts, as we know they are not up to shape and they will be changed in the future. If not by the core developers, then by disgruntled third-party developers

I agree, this will reduce a little bit our scope ! Was just to precise our scope...
What about themes...as discuss before ?

How about choosing modules to test first in early beginning of our work ? Using xoops.org wfdownloads statistics could be a great idea,no ?

marco

falke
  • 2004/12/27 20:35

• falke

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/25

It is my humble opinion that most projects that fails are unfocused. So I think it is important to limit the task from the start and make it very clear what the goals are. I prefer to start with few and easy to reach goals and then maybe expand them later on.

1. So I suggest that we concentrate on modules and leave themes for later on or for someone else to deal with. We should also select a small number of modules at first and expand later on.

2. We should focus on behavior of the modules. That is how predictable they are to use and how well they fit to XOOPS standard behavior and use standard XOOPS features like notification, themes, templates, installation and so on

3. It is important that the code is well documented and follows XOOPS standard with encapsulated and documented variables, function calls and so on.

4. Maybe we are fooling ourself if we believe that this is mostly objective work and that our results will be figures and graphs. I dont mind subjectiveness if it is based on something I can grasp and understand. In the end the result maybe will be some kind of modules we recommend and recommendation to the developers for what we like in modules.

This is just my humble opinions (once more ) and I can of course be persuaded to think otherwise.

regards/falke

Mithrandir

In order to narrow down the list of modules to test, I would suggest that you both look at the most popular modules in the module repository as well as the projects on dev.xoops.org that are labelled Production/Stable

Depending on the workload you can add/subtract from that list as you please

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits