Ruddle
Block positioning question?
  • 2003/12/6 2:29

• Ruddle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/10

I am having some difficulty in placing a block on my front page in a particular position (see the graphic below). I am unable to place the Forums block beneath the two smalled side by side blocks. No matter what weight I give it.

Resized Image

Perhaps there is a reason for this. If there is, it would be helpful to know so I'll stop looking for a solution! Can no center positioned blocks be place under two columned blocks?

Anyone else have a problem with this? Can this be fixed/solved? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciate!

Rick

CBlue
Re: Block positioning question?

On my sites, center blocks go above the center-left and center-right blocks. I think it's the templates that control the positioning of blocks.

Mithrandir

theme.html in the folder of the theme you use defines the position of center-center blocks relative to main contents and center-left and center-right blocks.

CBlue

Sorry! I thought you had to have a custom template to do that too!

Mithrandir

Not necessarily - but different themes have different ways of displaying the blocks. Some put the center-center blocks in the top - some in the bottom... it varies.

CBlue

Thanks for the info! I'll remember it when I want to create a custom theme. It's good knowing that I can rearrange my blocks settings through the theme.html file only.

Mithrandir

Took me some time to figure the whole theming out - but all theme.html does is set the basic HTML template all pages will use - think of it as a kind of a frame file, defining the header, page title and where to place blocks (and the look of the blocks, too, with background colours and pictures) and which includes the CSS files used.

Everything regarding contents come from other places - so it's purely
<html>
<
header>
here goes all header information quite a lot from SMARTY variables
</header>
<
body>
<
table>
banners and stuff
</table>
<
table>
<
tr>
<
td>
Here goes leftblocks if any
</td>
<
td>
Here goes centerblocks (with the order of center-centercenter-leftcenter-right and main contents)
</
td>
<
td>
Here goes rightblocks if any
</td>
</
tr>
<
tr>
<
td colspan 3>
This is the footer
</td>
</
tr>
</
table>

That's basically it

CBlue

Thanks MithyT2! I learn something new everytime I come here! That's why I'm always coming here!

Ruddle
  • 2003/12/6 17:55

• Ruddle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/10

Thanks to both of you for responding. You can usually always find an answer to your questions here!

The way I read this is, your have some positioning control but not free reign... right? The center blocks have to either over, or under, the left/right (columned) blocks? It seems impossible to to have the center blocks positioned BOTH above and below them, right?

Is this configuration (below) impossible?

Resized Image

Rick

Per4orm
  • 2003/12/6 18:03

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

That's pretty much the crux of it I think, for the moment at least. I can see a number of ways around this, but these would have to be embedded into the way XOOPS handles themes and templating overall. For example, how about a system similar to the way Mambo handles menu items and News articles: You get a couple of little arrows pointing up and down ro rearrange those items into the order you'd like. If XOOPS could incorporate something similar into the way blocks are displayed it would make for slightly more flexibility. But that said, it's hardly a critical issue, and I'm sure it would take a lot more time to do than it's currently worth the devs spending on it.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits