Mamba
XOOPS runs on MariaDB
  • 2013/6/17 18:06

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

This weekend I was finally able to install on my WampServer (Apache 2.4.4 and PHP 5.4.16) the MariaDB database:

MariaDB 5.5.31 stable
MariaDB 10.0.3 Alpha

and do some testing.

So far everything runs perfectly, which was to be expected, since MariaDB is developed and marketed as a "binary drop-in" database for MySQL, so compatibility to MySQL is given.

So as long as XOOPS runs on MySQL without any problems, it has to run on MariaDB as well.

Just wanted to let you know
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
Re: XOOPS runs on MariaDB
  • 2013/6/17 18:37

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

So, MySql is not optional?

While Maria happens to be a pretty name, it is just not reconciling well with me in terms of database branding. Almost as if it would require you to say the rosary in order to get any information out of it (and possibly into it). It is what it is.

Mamba
  • 2013/6/17 19:00

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
So, MySql is not optional?

Of course, it is!

You can use what you want, as both are interchangeable. However, it seems like more and more Linux distros are switching to support MariaDB instead of MySQL.

For a XOOPS user it shouldn't matter, but it's good to know that XOOPS is running on both
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/6/18 0:11

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

After a little research, it turns out that MariaDB was started by a former MySql employee when Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems, based presumably on concern that MySqls status as a free open source DB would be threatened. I was not aware of the acquisition, and Oracles position as a chief government database supplier (ile fusion centers) makes me wonder about its motive in making that move,

So Maria is looking hotter by the minute.

Here is the article.

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/22 15:14

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Did you just replace the contents of the distribution MySQL folder in WAMP with the contents of the MariaDB distribution, or was there a documented method to your approach? Obviously, in the first case you would prolly do it before you create any databases, where no database yet exists.

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits