redheadedrod
Re: Installation/Upgrades tutorial and Tutorials in general...

Quote:

Mamba wrote:

The link to this documentation is included in every Core release.

But sure, we can always make it more visible.

I meant in general.. We really should have something on the home page that shows the important downloads.

Having the "get xoops" icon on the top of the screen and the Javascript advertisement on the top of the page that goes away really are not the best way of doing this.

We should have links on the page its self. Perhaps in the right column or options in the top line or something.

We have these resources available, people should not have to go looking for them or have xoops installed to see them. In order for me to download the latest and greatest I have had to come to the site and be logged out, wait for the top to refresh and go from there...

If I want the install guide or the operational guide there is no easy way to see them from the site without knowing they exist and looking for them. Even just having them on the Wiki page that is part of the documentation is not really the best solution.

We really need something better to showcase these things...

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Anonymous
  • 2012/3/31 20:17

• Anonymous

• Since:

Upgrading a CMS like xoops cannot be compared with getting the latest updates for Windows, Rodney. A serious webmasters does some research, at least looks in the distribution files for a readme file before upgrading...

jdseymour

I think a better method for upgrades is how Drupal handles it. They have a module called "Update Status". The module lists your CMS version as well as all installed modules. Once a day a cronjob runs to compare the version installed with the version in the site repository. If a newer version is available it cives you a yellow warning at the top of the admin section ..... if it is a security update the update is red.

This gives you good visual reference that an update is available as well as direct links to download the update.

I am sure there are other ways of doing this but this does seem to work well.

Mamba
  • 2012/4/1 3:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
They have a module called "Update Status". The module lists your CMS version as well as all installed modules.

This has been on our "Wish List" for a long time. We just need somebody to take the initiative and develop it.

Or somebody to offer a "bounty" to provide an incentive to make it happen.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Quote:
They have a module called "Update Status". The module lists your CMS version as well as all installed modules.

This has been on our "Wish List" for a long time. We just need somebody to take the initiative and develop it.

Or somebody to offer a "bounty" to provide an incentive to make it happen.

I will be working on a system to do just this.. When I say I have future plans to make a lot of this stuff obsolete this is what I mean.

Since my classes are letting up some I hope to have a new Install program ready soon. Once the install program is in testing I will be looking at the Group and Permission changes I have been wanting to make. The next thing after that is a self contained install/upgrade system. It will have 3 components to it. I will be redoing the module install module that is included in the Basic Module pack. I will also be creating a module that will interface into TDMDownloads and wfdownloads to create a compatible RSS feed for the module installer. Once that is working I will be working on a new install/upgrade system.

So this will be done but not before I accomplish the other items.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Shine
  • 2012/6/18 22:52

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Wow, lot of projects you took on and even other items. How are these going on? @ redheadedrod (Rodney)

redheadedrod

You have been looking at a few messages from me.. I had some medical issues and some equipment issues that have set me back a little bit. But I am working on things now. Currently working on the Install script and I am working on a PDO database script right now which should not take very long. I hope to have the PDO database script available this week for testing if I don't have any unforeseen issues.

I work on the install script at home on my desktop and I am working on the PDO script at work on my laptop and will be working on xRoster at work as well once I have the PDO script finished.

Rodney

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits