redheadedrod
Team Schedule - looking for requests to add

I run a team website for a local football team and I will be developing some modules specifically for team use. I will be looking to develop any of these modules as multi use, multi sport modules.

The first module in this group of modules will be a team schedule / scores / standings module.

I already have copies of the tplleague and cricket league modules that I plan to look through and see if they have things usable for me.

I plan to support multiple sports with this module. Will start with baseball and football.

Will also support a large league system that has divisions and conferences as well as just a simple multi-team schedule.

I plan to have box scores and will be modeling a lot of this after Michigan States Football schedule on their website.

The main schedule screen will be a list of games and when you click on a game there will be a more detailed screen that pops up with further information.

I am looking for ideas of things to support for this module.

I will begin working on this module soon. I am finishing up another temporary project I am working on before tackling this project.

I am looking for anything someone would like to see in such a module. And if you have a sport you would like to see supported I would like to know the differences so I can program for it from the beginning. I want this to be highly configurable so it can be used without modifying the code at all.

Rodney

mariane
Re: Team Schedule - looking for requests to add
  • 2011/1/18 21:08

• mariane

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/1/11

Rodney
I wish you all the best in this project, I think you have to look for a module from zero, or take a look at this module
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4217
maybe it can be the base for your work, sure after few modifications.
the road of success is always under construction

redheadedrod

I looked briefly at the link you provided and I don't believe that module is anything like what I am looking to do. Plus it appears the Zero modules are all commercial which would limit my access to them.

Maybe at this point I should ask what sports would be good ones to provide for?

I am going to be setting it up to be flexible but I will likely provide some default settings for football and baseball.

If anyone has another sport they would like to have added please understand how the sport is setup so you can tell me some information about them.

I will likely begin working on this within the next week.

Rodney

Mazarin
  • 2011/1/22 6:10

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

This sounds really interesting. I'm currently using tplleaguestats on one of my sites and would like to replace it.

The REAL football (i.e. soccer for you Americans) and hockey.

- The possibility for a straight series (i.e. all teams in a league face each other a number of times and the one on top of the table at the end is the winner, much like most of Europes football/soccer leagues work),

- a series with a number of teams reaching the playoffs after the regular season (i.e. hockey style),

- cup competitions including both pure knock-out games (possibly with two legs, like many country specific european cups in football/soccer)

- and the option for round robin games in several groups followed by a playoff (like the Champions League for football/soccer in europe, actually sort of a mini version of the NHL league setup)

I'll be happy to provide more info if any of the above sounds interesting.

Do you plan to integrate this with xRoster?

You can look at the Joomla module JoomSport for some inspiration.http://demo.beardev.com/

redheadedrod

Thanks,

At this time I do not believe that xroster and schedule should be linked as they are completely different animals.

I am considering a stats module but that won't be for a while.

(I have been known to play american football as well as rugby for organized teams that have won or atleast came close to winning the national title...)

Anyhow hockey was one I wanted to add support for as well, so hocky and soccer are very doable. I want to make sure I understand how to setup a boxscore for them.

Support for stats would be simply a link at this point. I have a very complex spread sheet someone designed to keep track of stats for college and NFL football and I may convert that eventually to a module but no other plans to do a stats module.

If I were to do a stats module down the road I would likely make it work well with the schedule module as well as the roster module as it would benefit from both. Chances are a stats module could be done in the future that would be modular and have the potential to work for a bunch of sports but I have no current plans to do this as the spreadsheet our team has will export weekly stats in an HTML format which can then be added as a static page. So since I already have a way to do stats there is no incentive at this time to write one. I have enough other projects to keep me busy... ;)

Rodney

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits