Mamba
Re: What a ranker!
  • 2010/5/22 16:16

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
A community and system like Xoops is all about team building and working together. Not tear each other apart.

Of course!

Quote:
I and people I know has visions for Xoops

Would you mind to share this vision with us?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

nmshah
  • 2010/5/22 16:22

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Quote:
1) the ranking (which should be more properly called "status") is to reflect everybody's current main area of contributions. If your main contributions are themes, you're a "Theme Designer", if you're contributing mainly to Modules, you're a "Module Designer", and if you're moderating, you're a "Moderator". So people know how you contribute to XOOPS. Pretty simple and logical, right?

2) The ranking/role designation is not for life. People's roles and contributions change and the status changes to reflect it.

3) The ranking is NOT a real "ranking". The name is not correct, because people seem to think that if they are not "XOOPS Developers" anymore, they've been "demoted" and it's end of the world! This is NOT the case. It's only reflection of your currently main area of contribution to XOOPS!

Just please look at you contributions in the last 12 months and tell us was is your "main area" of contributions?

As no0-b says even I am nobody. But I have been visiting the xoops site quite regularly since the last couple of years.

Since Mamba's Post explains the rank system, my question is What is DJ's visible contribution to xoops in the last 12 months or infact 24 months. Except for promises about xoops 3.0, i guess not much. So what should his status be? Now doesn't this say that maybe we need a change in his status and in his role in xoops development.

Again this is not to say that DJ is a good lead developer or not, its just to say that well his current situation may not permit him enough time to work for xoops and thats fair enough but then shouldn't his role be changed to give him more time and mental peace to set his life in order. Once that happens and he has enough time for xoops, as Mamba said
Quote:
The ranking/role designation is not for life

Mamba
  • 2010/5/22 16:28

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
But, honestly, DJ should have had something workable by now. I did Zarilia in a year on my own. Xoosla refactoring in three months, Eduardo did Exm in a shorter time and the same with Simple Xoops.

John, let's not start a "pissing contest" here. What are you trying to say? That you're smarter/better developer than DJ? Is it really needed this kind of approach?

I hope, DJ will present in the next week or so the direction he is envisioning with the next release of XOOPS, and then we can discuss it and see if the delay was justified or not, and if was worth the wait.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 16:39

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Pissing? Who is starting a pissing contest!? No need to start with this Mamba, it was an observation, and you can't handle that then that is your problem, not mines.

I think you have really missed the point here, the point is not that DJ has done it or not, the point is that there should have been no way one developer of a CMS should have gone off on his own and decided what is best for everyone.

All the "Xoop developers" should have had a say in the development and it should have been as a team, with the proper channels of development like every other CMS .

Is that any clearer for you?

nmshah
  • 2010/5/22 16:45

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Quote:
Quote:
But, honestly, DJ should have had something workable by now. I did Zarilia in a year on my own. Xoosla refactoring in three months, Eduardo did Exm in a shorter time and the same with Simple Xoops.

John, let's not start a "pissing contest" here. What are you trying to say? That you're smarter/better developer than DJ? Is it really needed this kind of approach?

Catwolf never seems to have compared himself with DJ. So its actually your post mamba that seems to start a pissing contest. And surely xoops doesn,t need one.

All he said is about time which is true. Maybe DJ is the best developer in the world but if he does not have the time what use is it to xoops?

Also with all due respect to DJ and his ability lets look at this objectively and not based on our liking or respect for a person but in the overall interest of xoops

phppp
  • 2010/5/22 16:46

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Again this is not to say that DJ is a good lead developer or not, its just to say that well his current situation may not permit him enough time to work for xoops and thats fair enough but then shouldn't his role be changed to give him more time and mental peace to set his life in order. Once that happens and he has enough time for xoops, as Mamba said

Actually I have been working on X3 full-time since long time ago, every day and night. Even for right now, it is 12:40 in the evening for me, I am still writing code X3.
Thus I have been quiet on the forum, just discuss SVN topics with other developers in mail list.

The good thing is that after so long time hard design and development, a brand new architecture with basic services is being finalized. Actually I have started to invite other designers and developers for internal preview, especially ajax for user experience improvement.

I hope a small group of developers and designers will start to expand the X3.

When? I would say very likely in two weeks.
before that, we will have a brief architecture description and by next week.

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 16:47

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Actually, I remember a conversation we had the other day on MSN, you accused me and the other developers of having 'Ego' problems because we wouldn't work together.

The truth is this Mamba, we do want to work together and I think that we have just shown you that. In all honesty, it is DJ that doesn't want to work with us...

I am now officially done banging my head off a brick wall with this topic and refuse to do it any more.

Either, DJ wants us to work with him or not

phppp
  • 2010/5/22 16:50

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

By the way I sadly find that I have lost much of my speaking skill since I have been so deep in code for so long time.
Hope my documentation skill will be recovered soon once I move on to technical documentation.

Sorry I can not spend too much time on the subject right now.
We need to finish the 2.45 release in the weekend.
After that we will have more and more on our new version of XOOPS, for sure.

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 16:59

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

DJ I have every respect for you as a developer and I have for a long time. In a open source way, you really have done this all wrong. There was no need for you to go off and do all that by yourself when we could have done it as a team.

Right now, Xoops has no core development team spirit, no direction, no nothing, not even a roadmap (which is damn right disgusting). We have 4 different version all going at the same time, and what will happen to the work that has been don on these version?

In all honesty, we should have halted production and development on 2.18, and then all focussed our attention on version three. When you split development, you split resources and development times. In a large scale project like this, there is no way this should happen. With this result, other projects like Joomla has now worked on 3 (yes three) large scale versions and currently is leaving Xoops in the backend of no where.

In a open source project, that is a recipe for disaster and will lead to the down fall of any project and from what I can see, this is already happening.

Is it really that hard to put a team together and work from the same hymn sheet or we asking for the impossible?

Catzwolf
  • 2010/5/22 17:05

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

phppp wrote:

Sorry I can not spend too much time on the subject right now.
We need to finish the 2.45 release in the weekend.
After that we will have more and more on our new version of XOOPS, for sure.

This is indeed been the problem all along, I was actually hoping that we could have taken sometime to reflect and discuss the whole future of core development of Xoops and not to be worrying about the release of one version of Xoops.

I fear to be honest that, I like many other are banging our proverbial heads against a brick wall.

With all due respect DJ, you fiddle while Rome burns :)

I bid you goodnight and well being, I'm off to watch some stargate universe and relax :)

ATB

John

Login

Who's Online

251 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 251

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits