fishspon
upgrade from 2.0.13.2 to 2.4.2 - a few questions...
  • 2009/11/30 12:41

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/23

Hello,

I would like to upgrade from 2.0.13.2 to 2.4.2, and I would like to know of anyone is aware of any problems I may have given the list of modules I currently have installed...

- System 1.01 (presumably this is just part of XOOPS 2.0.13.2)
- Contact Us 1 (i think this is part of default install too)
- Web Links 1.1
- CBB 3.08 (replacement for newbb, developed by "predator" and "phppp")
- News 1.1 (i think is is part of a default install too)
- Members 1 (i think is is part of a default install too)
- Polls 1 (i think is is part of a default install too)
- wfsection 1.01
- MyAlbum 2.84 (also known as myalbum-p)
- Liens/Link To Us 1
- Who's Online 1 (i think is is part of a default install too)
- SmartFAQ 1.04
- Dictionary 0.91
- Waiting Contents Extensible 0.94
- Small ads/P'tites annonces 1.4

I realise some of the above modules may not work in the latest version, but presumably the upgrade procedure (which I've not looked at yet) for 2.0.13.2 -> 2.4.2 would either tell me to disable them or would disable them automatically, right?

My biggest concern is about the Forum module (CBB 3.08). When i installed this several years ago i think it replaced the built-in newbb module, so have i broken my upgrade path by doing this? Hopefully not.

As for all the other modules, I am happy to recreate the photo albums, wfsection content, news articles, polls, links, dictionary entries etc...

The only content that *MUST* be migrated to the new system is the members and forum posts. Ideally the photos would migrate too, but it's not the end of the world if not. Everything else, I'm happy to recreate.

So... any advice is gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

ghia
Re: upgrade from 2.0.13.2 to 2.4.2 - a few questions...
  • 2009/11/30 13:01

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

If in doubt, test your site locally on your PC with eg XAMPP.
Install XOOPS and your modules on it and verify their functions. It is very quick and easy.

CBB 3.08 is still the forum of choice and is also the one we are posting on here.
Most modules will work I think.
The only standard modules are System, PM, Profile and Protector.
News is a candidate for upgrading to v1.64.

fishspon
  • 2009/11/30 14:28

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
If in doubt, test your site locally on your PC with eg XAMPP.
Install XOOPS and your modules on it and verify their functions. It is very quick and easy.

CBB 3.08 is still the forum of choice and is also the one we are posting on here.
Most modules will work I think.
The only standard modules are System, PM, Profile and Protector.
News is a candidate for upgrading to v1.64.

Thanks for your response. However, i'm not sure it answers my question... i think i could have worded my question a little better...

Anyway, would I be correct to understand that if I simply follow the upgrade procedure, then my news articles, CBB 3.04 forum posts and members will all be included in XOOPS 2.4.2, and some other modules may still work as well?

If so, once I know my backups are OK, I will just go ahead and upgrade!

Does that sound like a valid plan?

Any plugins other than CBB and News that don't work afterwards, I will simply remove and find suitable alternatives.

What happens if I upgrade and one of my plugins is incompatible with the new version of XOOPS though? Will it break XOOPS, or will the incompatibility be handled nicely?

Thanks again!

ghia
  • 2009/11/30 15:09

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

All the info in your database for posts and articles will stay untouched. Also your members will be kept. In principle, users will hardly notice the upgrade.

See your backup is containing all files and all database tables.

When a module doesn't function anymore with the new core, it will mosttimes only a small function or part of the module that stops working.
Only in bad cases, not to be expected with your site I believe, can XOOPS stop functioning and produce a white page.

fishspon
  • 2009/11/30 16:56

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks again for your reply... my backups were fine, and I have successfully upgraded!!

However... a question (i'm sure there will be more!) - i have not yet "installed" the Private Messaging" module, but my forum still has the private messaging functionality it had before, so what is the purpose of the new Private Messaging module?

Is it a better version? If so, how do i enable it? Do i just install it and it will automatically replace the default version that seems to be there already?

fishspon
  • 2009/11/30 16:57

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

OK, an update... i have now "installed" the Private Messaging module, and I have both "Inbox" in the User Menu and "Private Messaging" in the Main Menu.

Is this normal?

Anonymous
  • 2009/11/30 17:16

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yes, it is normal as the new PM module is a "module" rather than part of the core. They will point to the same Inbox, but you will now have a "Savebox" and an "Outbox" too

Most folks seem to prefer to remove the "Private Messaging" entry from the Main Menu by going into modules admin and setting the "order" of the PM Module to "0" (zero). This will "hide" it.

HTH

fishspon
  • 2009/11/30 18:53

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks again - that works perfectly.

Next question... i'm just trying to learn about the Protection module, and I think I've found a bug.

On "http://www.domain.com/modules/protector/admin/index.php?page=advisory" there is a hyperlink to "http://www.domain.com/xoops_lib/modules/protector/public_check.php".

I have moved my xoops_lib dir out of the web root though, so this doesn't work... is there a fix for this?

fishspon
  • 2009/11/30 19:16

• fishspon

• Not too shy to talk

sorry - i'm an idiot and didn't read it properly! An Error 404 is a good thing and means everything is configured up just fine!

changing topic to [solved]!

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits