Ebeng
Installing a module more than one once on a site
  • 2008/5/15 4:32

• Ebeng

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/26

I have searched the XOOPS website and could not find an answer to my question.

I am new to computing. I want to build a website and was introduced to XOOPS by a work associate. I believe it has the functions I need. I have made a site outline and it has many topics and subtopics. To organize my topics I would like to put them in separate modules so each topic shows up in the menu. Do do this I would like to install a module more than one time. For example, I will have many topics that require static HTML pages. I would like to install a content modules for each major topic. I found one that works, xt_conteudo, but simply renaming the folder does not allow me to install this module more than once. I also want to install the 'news' module and a calendar module (although I have not yet found one that works satisfactorily - I'm open to suggestions) more than one time.

My question, Is it possible to install a module more than once? If so, how is that accomplished?

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks, Eben
stns@comcast.net

Catzwolf
Re: Installing a module more than one once on a site
  • 2008/5/15 4:53

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Actually is is not quite true that you are required to install a module more than once to get it to show up in the menu. There are ways and means of getting around each task by using one ore more modules. Actually some content modules will have their own menu for displaying categories as you have suggested. ie Smartsections, wf-channel are a couple I can name straight off my head.

You could also use the menu module by solo, do a search here and you will find it :)

As to the point of duplicating modules, the process is a little more difficult than just renaming the folder. There are many other factors to take into consideration. ie. Database tables, module constants, module paths all within the code of the module.

However, there are many content modules that will allow you to duplicate themselves (again smartsections comes to mind or pico is another one)

Also, look in our FAQ section regarding duplicating modules and what is required.

Catz

Ebeng
  • 2008/5/16 3:33

• Ebeng

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/26

Catz --

I'll do some more research based on your suggestions. Thanks.

Eben

mariane
  • 2008/5/16 6:54

• mariane

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/1/11

hello, you mean you need to clone the module, i loked for this longtime and tried to make it manualy,but i finde a module called smartclone , it's so easy and usefule, you can download it from www.smartfactory.ca
im using it, i cloned the catads and used it in the same website twice,
www.dagpacollege.com/home/modules/catads
www.dagpacollege.com/home/modules/jobs
the road of success is always under construction

Anonymous
  • 2008/5/16 8:07

• Anonymous

• Since:

I have to say that if it were me I'd be going down the single module/multi-menu route.

An awful lot less faffing about than cloning modules

beeblebrox
  • 2008/5/16 10:59

• beeblebrox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/2 1

Quote:
I will have many topics that require static HTML pages. I would like to install a content modules for each major topic.

Just use Pico. You just rename the folder to make a new instance. Easy.

Login

Who's Online

276 user(s) are online (180 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 276

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits