mrdummy
Bad upgrade instructions
  • 2007/11/11 18:55

• mrdummy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/20

When i try upgrade from 2.0.16 to latest 2.0.17.1, i follow the upgrade instructions:
1. Move the "upgrade" folder inside the "htdocs" folder (it's been kept out as it's not needed for full installs)
> Done
2. Delete htdocs/mainfile.php, htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/template_c/, htdocs/themes/ and htdocs/uploads/
> Most strage is to delete Themes and Uploads folder. The some files from another modules are stored in Uploads folder. Why should i delete it? Very bad advice. I have own theme, thus i cannot delete whole directory. Deleting mainfile.php is also idiotic, because you lost DB settings, which you need for upgrade process. Why!!!
3. Upload the content of the htdocs folder over your existing files
> Done.
4. Access < your.site.url >/upgrade/ with a browser, and follow the instructions
> Bang! It doesn't works. It suddenly jump to < your.site.url >/upgrade/install/index.php which is NOT here! The script is useless! Then after some tries i discovered the file mainfile.php MUST not deleted. Or i must put it back after step 3. Without mainfile.php, upgrade process is not possible. But you can fix the mainfile.php with < your.site.url >, which jumps automatically to install page. Fill the DB settings and it build new mainfile.php. Now you can skip another steps and go to /upgrade/. The upgrade process is now possible.
5. Follow the instructions to update your database
> No problem after fixing mainfile.php
6. Delete the upgrade folder
> yes yes....

You can see, i follow exactly your XOOPS upgrade instructions, but it has serious faults. Deleting mainfile.php cause errors by upgrade process, it jumps to install mode, and it gives white page! It's really stupid joke. And why delete whole Uploads folder? No thank you! If it has megabyes data, i don't want delete it. Idiotic advice.

Please give me explainations why i must delete mainfile.php and Uploads folder? Well?

noo-b
Re: Bad upgrade instructions
  • 2007/11/11 19:20

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

Quote:

mrdummy wrote:

2. Delete htdocs/mainfile.php, htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/template_c/, htdocs/themes/ and htdocs/uploads/
> Most strage is to delete Themes and Uploads folder. The some files from another modules are stored in Uploads folder. Why should i delete it? Very bad advice. I have own theme, thus i cannot delete whole directory. Deleting mainfile.php is also idiotic, because you lost DB settings, which you need for upgrade process. Why!!!

from what i understand..the instructions means delete the files in the htdocs folder(20171 zip) that you download..not delete the files in your XOOPS 2016
I Love Xoops

mrdummy
  • 2007/11/11 21:29

• mrdummy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/20

Then you should write for example:
1. Unzip the package to your hd
2. Copy whole /upgrade/ inside unzipped package to your server place
3. Delete htdocs/mainfile.php, htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/extras/, htdocs/template_c/, htdocs/themes/ and htdocs/uploads/ from the unzipped package on your hd.
4. Copy the files inside /htdocs/ to your server place, overwrite all.
5. Run /upgrade/ from your XOOPS site.
6. Follow upgrade instructions on your XOOPS site
7. Delete upgrade folder from your server place

That makes more sense between server place and your hd. :)
With very short instruction, i'm not sure if it's for server files or for zipped package...

claydoh
  • 2007/11/12 4:08

• claydoh

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/6 0

Quote:
Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.16

1. Get the update package from the sourceforge file repository
2. Overwrite your existing files with the new ones

These are the instructions for upgrading from 2.0.16 to 2.0.17.1. Now I definitely agree that the instructions you are following need to be clarified, but they are for upgrading from a different version of Xoops

Quote:
Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.14/2.0.15 (easy way)

1. Get the appropriate update package from the sourceforge file repository
3. Access <your.site.url>/upgrade/ with a browser
4. Follow the instructions to update your database
5. Delete the upgrade folder

Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.14/2.0.15 (using the full package)
1. Move the "upgrade" folder inside the "htdocs" folder (it's been kept out as it's not needed for full installs)
2. Delete htdocs/mainfile.php, and htdocs/install
4. Access <your.site.url>/upgrade/ with a browser

MasterJacK
  • 2007/11/12 5:33

• MasterJacK

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/8

I confirm what MrDummy says.

The upgrade from 2.0.16 to 2.0.17 with the full package is much like the upgrade from the older versions.

I did the same error the first time with the same result. The readme file should be a bit clarified, don't forget that english is not the whole world's mother tongue, so misunderstanding can be possible...

Positive point; when you follow the procedure correctly, it's quite straightforward

MaxNomad
  • 2007/12/21 0:54

• MaxNomad

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/9/26

Greetings, all,

I made the same mistake and ended up knocking my website offline for a few hours (it went back to the fresh install mode). Luckily I had a backup and managed to figure out that the missing mainfile.php was the cause of that. The problem is that once I got it back online and went to the admin area I found other glitches -- the mouse-over menus would pop up but wouldn't disappear when I moused over another button, causing the menus to overlap one another. To make matters worse, when I clicked on Preferences and chose to edit General Settings, the area beneath that link came up blank.

My gameplan was to copy my old files back onto the server, then step through the updates without deleting the wrong mainfile.php and folders on the server (I had to go from 2.0.14 to 2.0.18rc). The problem was that the server knew the upgrades had already been done so it wouldn't allow me to go through those steps again.

1) Has anyone had this problem with the admin area? If so, how did you fix it?

2) Is there any way to force the upgrade(s) to work to make sure all files and database updates were made correctly?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nick_James

Quote:
rom what i understand..the instructions means delete the files in the htdocs folder(20171 zip) that you download..not delete the files in your XOOPS 2016

Okay, but isn't the new zetagenesis theme in the new themes folder? So if we delete the themes folder from the download, we do not get the new theme?
Nicholas James
President - LaDads
www.ladads.info

Nick_James

P.S. I am upgrading from 2.0.16 to 2.0.18

Here is the start of the release notes where they say they added 'zetagenesis'.

Quote:

XOOPS 2.0.18 release notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The XOOPS development team is pleased to announce the release of XOOPS 2.0.18.

This is mainly a security fix release. Some main changes include:
- Added sanitizing to integer parameters before being used in DB query to avoid SQL injection
- Added sanitizing to XOOPS form elements to avoid XSS
- Added theme "zetagenesis" as experimental step towards XOOPS 3.0 theme engine
- Improved permission check in comments

Read the full changelog for details.

Complete installation

Quote:
Installing XOOPS
-----------------------------------

1. Copy the content of the htdocs/ folder where it can be accessed by your server
2. Ensure mainfile.php, cache, templates_c and uploads are writable by the webserver
3. Access the folder where you installed the htdocs/ files using your web browser to launch the installation wizard

These could be written with just a bit more detail to save people a world of frustration.

The best way would be to get the newbies to write out the steps that they went through and to clarify where they didn't understand and what cost them time.

For example, where is the step to check that all the necessary files have been uploaded to the server?

This step is CRUCIAL for saving time and frustration. I use a buggy uploader (Dreamweaver) which is notoriously slow and often fails to upload files. I have to upload in small sections.

So I have learned to always run the file check after uploading but before installing !!!

Quote:
Upgrading from a previous version
-----------------------------------

Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.17.1 (easy way)
1. Get the update package from the sourceforge file repository

Hmmm. That seems extremely simple.

Here are the instructions for my particular upgrade.

Quote:

Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.14/2.0.15/2.0.16/2.0.17.* (using the full package)
2. Delete htdocs/mainfile.php, htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/extras/, htdocs/template_c/, htdocs/themes/ and htdocs/uploads/
4. Access <your.site.url>/upgrade/ with a browser, and follow the instructions

[/quote]

Since I don't have an 'install' on the online version, the assumption is to delete all of the files in the download version.

But if I delete the 'themes' file, then I don't get the added 'zetagenesis' theme. If I delete the server 'themes' then I lose my existing theme. Ouch.

Deleting the new 'mainfile.php' keeps me from wiping out the customized setting in the existing mainfile.php. Okay.

But why do we need to delete 'cache' 'extra's 'template_c' and 'uploads'?
Nicholas James
President - LaDads
www.ladads.info

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits