rgauci
news module hack for thumbnails
  • 2007/9/27 11:48

• rgauci

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/8/31

I need to hack the news module 'latest news block' to include a thumbnail image of the article shown. I want something to be similar to smartsection that when you use smartsection's spotlight block it will show a thumbnail of teh relevant item news.

What file do I need to hack please? I am also using the xmspotlight that works so well with news 1.55 and the latest version
Be Set FREE!

rgauci
Re: news module hack for thumbnails
  • 2007/9/28 7:55

• rgauci

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

rgauci wrote:
I need to hack the news module 'latest news block' to include a thumbnail image of the article shown. I want something to be similar to smartsection that when you use smartsection's spotlight block it will show a thumbnail of teh relevant item news.

What file do I need to hack please? I am also using the xmspotlight that works so well with news 1.55 and the latest version

Can anyone look at trying to help out in this hack. Please I also posted this in Instant Zero website the makers of News 1.55 I presume but still I am waiting for an answer.

I think this could be a great feature for News module in have a small thumbnail in the blocks, something Smartsection has. I have used smartsection with great success but I have found that when you have around 1000+ articles the spotlight in smartsection and even the module itself slows down the query of the database and takes ages to come up on the screen. Apart from that its great.

Hope news will handle 1000+ articles quite fast and does not stress teh server that much.

Any help!!!!!!
Be Set FREE!

script_fu

http://www.xoopsdesign.com/modules/news/ Does this look like what your trying to do?

rgauci
  • 2007/9/28 13:02

• rgauci

• Not too shy to talk

Script_fu your link directed me to your themes home page, I do not want a theme but to have the News modules hacked to show a thumb image in the Blocks like top stories, latest news etc.Perhaps you could direct me to the right link???? Nice themes by the way
Be Set FREE!

script_fu

It's not my site but Snows. Anyway I pointed you to an example of ajax thumbs which are displayed in the news module on that site.

"If I understand you correctly."

The thumbs can be displayed almost anywhere you want with the lightbox hack.

"Here is an idea you could try."

You can achive what you ask bye installing the eXtgallery module

http://www.zoullou.net/

and

eXtGallery 0.1.5 is out - Hook hack updated

http://www.zoullou.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8

If you dont want no one to see the gallery just set it to 0 in modules admin.

rgauci
  • 2007/9/28 15:08

• rgauci

• Not too shy to talk

I got it now! Its very close to what I want but not quite.

Let me explain. We run a sports magazine online (www.maltasport.com) where you can see smartsection module at work.

Now I want to use the News module on a similar thumbnail a bit bigger but using News because this module gives you the Category,etc. and is more friendlier on the database queries. All I need is to make the image smaller because if I use it as it is it is going to show the same sixe photo of the featured article. I think I need to hack both the php and template files.

Hope I explained properly
Be Set FREE!

akor__
  • 2007/10/9 7:38

• akor__

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/7

rgauci i see you show the last news using "smartsection" module,,,
iam asking you how you maked that

Shine
  • 2007/10/9 11:26

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

If I am correct these are smartsection blocks.
Have you tried them out and explored them?
Make them visible on your startpage.

Shine
  • 2007/10/9 11:32

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Some time ago I know the developer Hervé wrote a great article in how you could improve the news module. Don't know if this also included thumbs.
I've looked and searched, but cannot find it. Perhaps somebody else can point you in this direction?
I know this tutorial was a great one. (available in french and english!)

rgauci
  • 2007/10/9 13:06

• rgauci

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

akor__ wrote:
rgauci i see you show the last news using "smartsection" module,,,
iam asking you how you maked that

As Shine said I have used Smartsection's block called Spotlight. I hacked it a bit to show a thumbnail. If you like that little hack i can PM it to you.

Quote:

Shine wrote:
Some time ago I know the developer Hervé wrote a great article in how you could improve the news module. Don't know if this also included thumbs.
I've looked and searched, but cannot find it. Perhaps somebody else can point you in this direction?
I know this tutorial was a great one. (available in french and english!)

I also was looking at that tutorial....even looked at the Instant zero website but to no avail.

must keep on searching!!!!!! I do not know if its me or not but updating to News 1.56 was not giving me the image upload in the article (yes images in png and jpg) so at this stage I went back to v1.44, until I figure it out.

Smarsection and News are the best you can use for a type of News paper online....news has got archives Smarsection no....but smartsection has a better spotlight integrated with it.
Be Set FREE!

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits