kc0maz
Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - community coordination - June 10th
  • 2007/6/26 18:56

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:
phppp said:
>snip< you are also a good candidate according to what you have done.

Thank you, D.J. for your confidence of my leadership skills.

Maybe now is a good time for me to share how I envision proposed Community Coordination team and how it would operate.

@D.J. please correct me I make a mistake somewhere.

The current moderators would continue to moderate the forums, for the purpose of this team we can call them moderators at large, meaning they moderate most of the forums. While during their trolling they come across a re-occurring, or unresolved issue, a number of people requesting a feature or module. or anything else that requires follow-up. the Moderators @ Large would come to the Coordinators, and say this is going on in this forum/topic.

A Coordinator would then take ownership of the issue, and start a topic with the coordinator as the moderator of that topic only. The coordinator would then use what ever tools they deem necessary to determine what the issue is, what feature(s) is being requested or what a module is suppose to do. Once the Coordinator has the information, they would contact the appropriate development team. From that time forward, that coordinator will be the point of contact between the end-users, via that issues topic, and the development team. All they way through development to the finial release including documentation. Once the issue is resolved, the module released, or upgrade. the coordinator could close/lock the topic. maybe write up a summery to be posted in the FAQ's

For example a there are 20 requests for a APRS/ECHOlink module. The moderators @ large would hopefully notice, and bring it to the attention of the coordinators. I being a coordinator would open a APRS/ECHOlink topic in the Module Request Forum, with me being the moderator. Other moderators would be welcome to troll through, removing spam, indecent posts, etc, however the topic/threads should not be locked or closed, except by the coordinator. Threads relating to this topic should be moved over.

The coordinator would then hold discussion to find out what is APRS and EchoLink and what the module would do. maybe use polls, check legal status, basic research. the coordinator may even call on some of the posters to help.

Once the coordinator understands what the propose module is suppose to do, and what features are requested. the coordinator would contact the module development team either here or on SF and simply layout the request. Hopefully someone would pick it up. The coordinator would then request and post a regular update to the project. once a week or so.

Once the module is ready for beta testing the coordinator would lead the test. reporting back the developer the outcome. During this time the coordinator would be communicating with the documentation team.

When the module is released and documented, the coordinator would then close the topic, write a summery and pass it to the communication team as a news item.

Next issue please..

Of, course I might be way off base here.

The Moderators @ Large are still doing what they have always done, only they are keeping an extra eye out those issues that may need some extra follow up. The coordinators are doing just that coordinating the various teams to resolve issues and get new useful modules out. It is the end users who drive it the entire process.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

sailjapan

Well that sounds like an excellent idea!
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

kc0maz
  • 2007/6/27 19:01

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Now that an outline of how the proposed Community Coordination Team would operate has been posted and we know that The Community Coordination team is considered to be a 'project' team, and our internal' team work forum will stay at Xoops.org.

Shall we try this again, please.
Quote:

phppp wrote:
I would suggest the team to be replaced with "community coordinator team"

I would like to invite following people to join the Community Coordination Team as Moderators at Large:

JMorris
irmtfan
akitson
vaughan ( M0nty)

They are all current moderators in good standing.

The moderators tasks will not change, in fact some may be added. The moderators will continue to work as they have, with little interference from the rest of the team.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I have invited SailJapan as a coordinator, and he has accepted.

If there are any others who would like to join, please PM me or post a note here. otherwise we will assume there are no others who want to be included as a part of the Community Coordinators.

the first item on the 'to do list' is to select a leader.

I have recommended JAVesey because of his experience with the XOOPS Community.
Quote:

phppp wrote:
Thank you, KC0MAZ
>snip<
IMHO, if JAVesey does not have high availability, you are also a good candidate according to what you have done.

Are there any other candidates?
--unknown

BlueStocking

RE: Are there any other candidates?

I would like to see someone from pt_br as part of the Community Coordination Team, Namely, Giba if he would be willing to volunteer.

As a sideline observation, things are looking up, again.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

phppp
  • 2007/6/27 20:25

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Thank you, KC0MAZ

Let's keep in mind the coordinator team is solely for Project, not for new community sites.

BlueStocking

Quote:

Let's keep in mind the coordinator team is solely for Project, not for new community sites.

@phppp,
by this, are you meaning 'the coordinator team' is basically under your command as project leader? To serve the purpose of Project.

As in: - phppp - Líder do Projeto
- JMorris - Líder da Comunidade

sailjapan

If I read our brief correctly, we (Community Coordination Team) are charged with helping to make sure that community requests and activities are coordinated...

As kc0maz has very clearly set out, that would include gathering and coordinating user requests. I assume that we may also have been charged with helping mod and core devs find help from the community.

Coordination of efforts by all sections of the community. I don't see our role as controlling or needing to be controlled needing to be solely for any one part of XOOPS. Think of us as an inter XOOPS matchmaking service, if you like

I am a little concerned that if phppp's post (above) were taken literally, we'd be unable to really do our job as was set out here:

Quote:
Tasks:
1 responsible for daily administrative jobs
2 help users to contact corresponding teams upon their requests
3 help users to understand and use XOOPS correctly
4 help users to use the XOOPS official sites properly

Item 2 is the role that we seem to have narrowed ourselves down to. Moderators and Documenters seem better suited to items 3 and 4 (though we'd be willing to assist, I'm sure), and the admin side of things... well, depends on what admin, I suppose.

phppp. Your post was unclear. It seems to run against all logic. Please explain what you mean.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

BlueStocking

Quote:

Teams such as the Module Development Team and the Communications Team are seen as community initiatives and therefore will be operated autonomously by the leaders of each team. The XOOPS Project will not intervene in the functioning of Community teams.

Source post XOOPS : Moving Forward
Posted by JMorris on 2007/6/27 12:47:13 (312 reads)
I thought I was seeing a system of check and balances, and I am wondering how that can be if you are leader of the communications team and also a part of the {Community Coordination Team}. I thought the Community Coordination Team was the go between the community and the project. Ultimately, being responsible to the project to give it the information it needed to do its job while serving the needs of the community.

That is the way I understand phppp's post.

Yours is not so clear as to pupose.

kc0maz
  • 2007/6/28 2:51

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

It took me a while to digest Jame's announcement and a few PM's between DJ, James and myself. I think I have it down.

To the average Joe User, The Coordinators will be the gatekeepers to the inner sanctum of the developers who gave birth to the code of Xoops, If the user has a problem, they have to get by the coordinators first. The Coordinators are eyes and ears of the developers.

To the developers, the Coordinators are their eyes and ears. They are the data collectors and communicators to the users. Not only do they bring back word of stuff that is broke, They also bring back what is working. However they seem to bring more problems than good news.

my wording is bit overdone. however as I understand the purpose of the Community Coordination team, we the the go-between the core developers, module developers, theme writers, and the users We don't work on a broad scale like the Advisory Council, rather we work one issue at a time.

I foresee many of 'end-user' discussions being held on XoopsInfo. however we have to bring back to Xoops.org what we have learn. We will be coordinating between the two or three sites or forums. I stand by the the synopsis I posted earlier. It may require a bit tweaking, however, the overall idea stands

But we are a long way from that point now.

First we need to select a leader.
Then we need to find a work space where we won't clutter up the home page.

Report time is coming up fast and someone will need to make some kind of report.

PS. I apologize to DJ and James for any harsh words I may have sent via PM.
--unknown

phppp
  • 2007/6/28 3:38

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

thank kc0maz for the clarification

The "community coordinator team" created here will be working for the Project, i.e. governed by Project Council.

In one word, the coordinator team is going to be the link between "Project" (composed of a variety of teams) and "community" (here refer to end users), helping the Project serve community better, helping community understand and use the Project better.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits