andrewking
Preferences about XOOPS....
  • 2007/5/2 5:49

• andrewking

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/2 5

Hi,
Can any one tell about XOOPS and its preferences, as long as the language pack is available - otherwise it will default to English, which is supplied as default with each module? Where do I get help from XOOPS?
Thanks in advance

jensclas
Re: Preferences about XOOPS....

hello and welcome to xoops!

You have come to the right starting place - this forum. However, you will find that sometimes it is difficult to find just what you are looking for and most of us have found over recent times a google search is pretty good at finding a specific answer to a question.

Setting your preferences is a personal thing so you need to make a decision about what you want to happen on your site. This can be further complicated by some modules which have their own preference setting area. My approach to all this when I was new was to simply go with the default if I didn't understand or know what to do and it seemed to work. As far as language goes you will find most things vary from English to any number of other languages - if you are after something in another language you will find the 'local support' link directs you to coops support sites in other languages. Many modules are written in more than one language. English plus one other.

Having said that, here is the standard response we give to newcomers:
Quote:
New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on glossary, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

For Visual tutorials please go here

Now in setting your XOOPS preferences it is always advisable to not allow anonymous posts and comments - require registration. it helps to protect you from spam.

Take the time to put in the module 'protector' to protect your site from hack attack. Nothing is perfect but this will help.

Some of our documentation is 'old'(referring to old versions for example) but the concepts are the same. XOOPS is undergoing a process of change and change takes time. there are quite a number of xoopsers working on providing better ways to get information and modules so while it will seem intensive in terms of the time you use to get to know Xoops, things are looking better for the future and to be honest, in spite of the negatives we have experienced in the last few months what is here for a new user is much better than it was 2 years ago.

I found the FAQ section became my best friend, and you will find that if you follow the 'read before you post' guidelines you will get some very quick and specific help fairly quickly. Finally, discover the world of support sites offered by other xoopsers - there are a number of them you will come across and make yourself a 'xoops' favourites folder to have easy access to them.

Hope this helps!

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits