skenow
Looking for suggestions - Starting a New XOOPS Site entries
  • 2007/4/12 1:12

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

There are now 21 entries in the Starting a New XOOPS Site series, and I am wondering - what else would you like to see added to this?

davidl2
Re: Looking for suggestions - Starting a New XOOPS Site entries
  • 2007/4/12 1:16

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

How about:

Selecting modules?

Designing presentation of site?

Can't think of others (bit tired at the moment sorry )

skenow
  • 2007/4/13 22:26

• skenow

• Home away from home

Thanks, David -

I was thinking about expanding on the module selection topic.

I am also going to cover uploading to your host and setting file/folder permissions.

snow77
  • 2007/4/16 15:27

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

There is a documentation project that's going through my mind, something I want to give to xoops. I don't want to start with an empty site, I'm in the establishing categories and setting the correct tools process. Among the different areas there is a XOOPS Usage, Modules, and Themes areas. For modules I am considering to start with the CBB module, Themes - kris_fr's morphogenesis documentation.

For XOOPS Usage, do you (skenow) agree that I take your document, organize it in chapters, add screenshots and convert it into different formats (ex. chm, pdf, html)?
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

BlueStocking

Hi David, skenow, James... and others

Background, I have been a paying member of hypermart.net since 2001 on two accounts, one that I rarely used for anything. And nothing of value.

Due to a current special they were running I asked for and got permission for them to 'gift' me MySQL for practice purposes for the next 10 months in consideration of the funds I have already paid into this account. ($100 per year the current expiration date 02/05/2008)

So now I have a clean site, virgin databases, and a desire to test the XOOPS ... That will be the sole purpose of this site.

I need to know what modules,
How to present the site...
etc., etc., etc.,

In other words,
I have the means,
I know XOOPS exists,

The Why is because programing is a hobby of mine,
The How is what these tutorials and this site is all about.

CAN I HELP?

A BlueStocking Question...

[size=xx-small]Its upnrunnin at...
http://upnrunnin.hypermart.net/xoops01/
(The root index.htm file is my way of closing off the browser browser)[/size]
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

snow77
  • 2007/4/16 21:19

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

quoting Bluestocking
Quote:
I need to know what modules,
How to present the site...
etc., etc., etc.,

In other words,
I have the means,
I know XOOPS exists,

The Why is because programing is a hobby of mine,
The How is what these tutorials and this site is all about.

CAN I HELP?

I don't understand you well. You mean what modules we suggest you to use in your sites? For this I think creating another thread would be more useful cause here is where Skenow is asking for suggestions for the documentation he is doing and would be carrying it off topic to answer this.

What do you want to help in?

The documentation Skenow is doing he is publishing it at the forum in the Beginners Corner category and it's sticky on top.

And my wish, is to organize the XOOPS documentation, that's why I have asked him if he can let me use his documentation to convert it into a Manual - book kind of presentation. I haven't elaborated more on the plans I have for the site I plan to build in a written form so I can't say much about it yet.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

BlueStocking

RE: by snow77 on 2007/4/16 16:19:22

Snow77,

Quotes
1) Title of forum... "Looking for suggestions - Starting a New XOOPS Site entries"

2) "Skenow is asking for suggestions for the documentation he is doing "

3) "And my wish, is to organize the XOOPS documentation, that's why I have asked him if he can let me use his documentation to convert it into a Manual - book kind of presentation"
EndQuotes

In view of all of this I am bringing to the table the only thing I have at present to present. The workspace, the database availability, and the desire to help.

Being a novice with a lot of questions, I feel that Skenow document answered most everything I needed to know to get a php/mysql site upnrunnin. (http://hardhunting.com/index.php)

Xoops has a lot to offer and I haven't even scratched the surface, of knowing what all it can do but I am more interested in giving back than taking from. So as I work along the path of 'helping out' I expect I'll be getting as much as I give.

Yes, what modules do I need...

I know where I would start, the question is where SHOULD I start.

BlueStocking

skenow
  • 2007/4/17 0:40

• skenow

• Home away from home

I am considering the options presented in this thread and I see a lot of positive outcomes possible. There will probably be a few more entries to this series before I close it, and I do think there are enough topics to start another series with more specific information and case studies for various uses of XOOPS.

The article will also have some contributions from JMorris about security to expand on the overview I gave.
Snow - thank you for the offer to supplement the text with screenshots and convert this resource into other forms. I have begun some of this work already at XOOPSinfo.com. There have been many discussions about where this article should live, but I think it can reside in many different places. I would like it to be the same in all those locations, though. So, please let me complete the last few segments and polish up a few things over at XOOPSinfo before publishing it in a more final form.
BlueStocking - thank you for your feedback and offer of web space. I am glad the document has provided you with assistance in getting your site going and you are ready to give back to the community already. Perhaps we can collaborate on testing some of the topics so there is another perspective besides mine and finding ways to organize this from many different levels. I am not sure where to start with this offer - let me ponder on it for a while longer. Please?

There is also a wiki at helpXOOPS, and they have offered to present this series there - so there are lots of options to consider and many things beyond the document to maintaining a cohesive set of information and strengthening the community.

xoopsdocs doesn't seem to have much activity - is there a revival of that resource coming?

I still think there is some good discussion about what to do with this series, and in reality, it belongs to the community, not to me. For this discussion, let's continue the thread at XOOPSinfo

Thanks, everyone

snow77
  • 2007/4/17 21:26

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

quoting Bluestocking
Quote:
I know where I would start, the question is where SHOULD I start.

Thank you for showing the motivation to do something positive, I'm sure you will be able to plan something out, but I don't know the answer to this, I'm out of ideas for the moment.

----------------------

Skenow, you're doing a great work with the doc, thanks for this, I understand well the vision you have for it and will wait until it's finished to see if there is something else I can help with in complementing it.

quoting Skenow
Quote:
xoopsdocs doesn't seem to have much activity - is there a revival of that resource coming?

I have no idea what the webmaster of this site has planned for this, I was one of the affected people when the new docs being written got lost and that got me real sad.

I plan a revival for this at a personal site/project I am working on, I have the domain and hosting ready for this but can't say anything else until I have clear how it is I want to structure the site and maybe see if it can be linked to xoopsinfo in some way.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

BlueStocking

Well, I'm stuck on deciding on a database login and password. I've heard it is important to select one that is hard for others to figure out but I am lazy and afraid I would not remember ... (of course, I could write it down, but wouldn't that just be to easy?) I'm tempted to name it xoops01 since it is in the xoops01 directory.... Would that be a bit to obvious. {{grin}}

screenshot

BTW: I'm proficient at html... and need to be sold on the value of php/mysql.

BlueStocking
http://upnrunnin.hypermart.net/xoops01/

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits