tony_l
Stupid WiwiMod Question
  • 2007/2/20 16:42

• tony_l

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/6 2

I am at a complete loss. I think I am going crazy here.

How do you create a new page in WiwiMod?

The instructions are vague.

This is what it says -

Quote:

Creating new pages :

The base idea is that you create a page when you try to reach a page that doesn't exist yet. When you do this, you obtain a blank page in « edit » mode. Then you type the content and submit the new page ... you're done.

Step 1 : create a link to your future new page (edit your "index" or "home" page for example)

You have three ways to do that : you can

just type the CamelCase name of your future new page : it will be automatically converted into a link when you save the current page.

or

type a title for your link, click the "insert hyperlink" button of your editor and, in the destination URL field, type : ?page=MyNewPage

or

type MyNewPage A title for that link

Could someone be a bit more specific for me? Has anyone figured this out?

When I first open Wiwi, it allows me to create a page.. which is what I do. On that page, I type in a simple link called "Create New Page" that points to BlankPage.php

When I click on the non-existent page, I get a 404 error. Which is what I expected to happen.

What do I have to do to get this thing to allow us to create a simple document.

-Thanks

Anonymous
Re: Stupid WiwiMod Question
  • 2007/2/20 16:55

• Anonymous

• Since:

It should be as easy as you say.

Type pagename anywhere on a page and save the page that you've just typed in.

Go to the page that you've just saved and you should see a link to your new page with a "?" next to it. Click on the link to the new page, type some text in the new page and then save it.

You can then, if you like, go back to the original page and delete the link.

It really is a simple as that. The new page should have the same permissions as the parent page.

skenow
  • 2007/2/20 17:11

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

1. Edit an existing page
2. Add new wiwi link pagename, or pagename | text to display on the page, or PageName.
3. Preview the page
4. Click on your new page link in the preview (at the bottom of the page - it should show the orange ? indicating the page does not exist, yet)
5. Begin editing your new page!

tony_l
  • 2007/2/20 17:24

• tony_l

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/6 2

Ok, I finally understand now. I have more questions though:

1. The first page I created just states that the Wiki is for development purposes blah blah blah.. I put a link in there to CreateNewDocument.php (which does not exist) I get a page that allows me to type in content. I type in the content, submit the form, and I am then good to go.

PROBLEM: I think I still do not understand this fully. If I click on the CreateNewDocument page, it gives me the page I created before. So does this mean I have to create a link on the index page to each page I want to create? Basically I have to create the entire Wiki (with blank non-existent pages) from the beginning?

2. I try to edit the main page by clicking on the EDIT button on the bottom right of the block, but I get an Object not found error when I do this. If I have to create the entire wiki each and everytime I want to add a page, this will get tiring pretty quickly.

Any helpful suggestions?

Johnhds
  • 2007/2/21 15:18

• Johnhds

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/12

I have the same question - can you only submit one article? There is no place to 'add' another one. All that is there is 'edit' or 'history'.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Anonymous
  • 2007/2/21 15:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

Now I'm confused

Might be wrong, but I think you might be making this more difficult than it really is.

Quote:
tony_l wrote:

I put a link in there to CreateNewDocument.php

Why? That's not in the manual.

Just type yournewpagename in any page, save that page and then click on the link to it. There is no need for you to specify any filename extension in the ...... code.

The code for creating a link and creating a new page are different.

Quote:
tony_l wrote:

So does this mean I have to create a link on the index page to each page I want to create?.........

........Any helpful suggestions?

You could use the page index code...... from what I remember, the module install created a page called "WiwiHome" and there was a table on that page which gave an alphabetic page listing and list of recently edited files. I use this on my site.

I just use the index page as an introduction for users of the site/wiki and then the real content is accessed from there.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
  • 2007/2/21 15:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Johnhds wrote:
I have the same question - can you only submit one article? There is no place to 'add' another one. All that is there is 'edit' or 'history'.

Anyone have any suggestions??

You can create as many pages/articles as you like and, once they exist and have content, you can link them using the "link" code.

On my site I have seven pages, each representing the chapter of a larger document. There are links to the previous and next page at the bottom of each page.

I haven't looked at the TOC blocks, etc, but that might be a way forward for you.

Johnhds
  • 2007/2/21 17:24

• Johnhds

• Just popping in

OK I did the save, but there is no 'link' butoon or anything. All I have visible to choose from is "thread' 'oldest' 'refresh' 'comment'

This is o.8 and updated throught the admin. Di dI miss something in the admin??

jensclas

Hi John - perhaps this link will help. I found I had to change my thinking or assumptions and habits based on what I know about word processing programs and easy to build web program like the microsoft collection. Wiki works differently - you need to code your links in. I don't think you missed anything. JAVesey refers to link 'code' - not 'button'. That is, I think, what you are misinterpreting. If you venture into wikipedia you will see links to other pages all over the place - all you need is the right code yournewpagename and once you activate this by clicking on it you will have a new page that is linke to where 'yournewpagename' is. Perhaps you are after how to encode or create a contents table - hopefully the link above will send you in the right direction.

Learning the code takes some time. I miss the convenience of pressing buttons to do things, but I hope to get better at it with time. Some will argue this is easier. I don't want to go there - but I am challenged by wiki and won't give up coming to terms with how to use it.

The sandbox in the above link is a great pleace to make some sense of how wiki works and start learning the code. HTH

Johnhds
  • 2007/2/21 20:02

• Johnhds

• Just popping in

Thanks Jensclas.

I am more concerned about my members figuring it out since most like to just press buttons. Not sure how to simplify it to them in an explaination.

Login

Who's Online

250 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 250

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits