BDW
MySpace style module
  • 2007/2/16 10:26

• BDW

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/28

now this might be asking for much, but since the growth in social networking I think there would be a demand for a module that allows you to set up a viewable profile (myspace/youtube style) and upload mp3's, photos, videos and also have a blog.

This would probably be a huge task, but I think loads of people would be wanting this.

Myself included.

Features should be included with this:

1. The option to allow people to either upload their files or link to their files. That way you can keep your Disk space to a minimum.
2. Charts for files where you can set categories.

I'm sure there are plenty of features you can put in that you can add that feature on websites such as myspace, youtube and soundclick (my favourite).

Would this be something that is posible?

I would like to hear other peoples thoughts, what other people think should be added also.

wizanda
Re: MySpace style module
  • 2007/2/16 10:54

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

It sort of what my site is trying to emulate a little, using profiles of 2.2 or smart profiles gives you the added boxes in profiles people can submit to.
Increase the Avatar Dimensions and you can allow Photos or small images.
User-Pages is sort of a personal pageā€¦..
Article has its own user page also of all Articles people have added...
You need the PM hack for Emails as I got told off by MySpace friends....yet then with the hack it sends the whole message and email unlike MySpace; so people don't need to login so much as you do with MySpace, just to read an email.

Bit unsure on Music, Debaser allows uploads or links to music, yet unsure if there is an overall setting for amounts of one user.

The words interlinking off the profiles that MySpace has, i am looking at to link with the site wide Wiki if I can.

These are bits I have been trying + more

cutley
  • 2007/2/16 11:11

• cutley

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/27

most modules add user's use on to their profiles.

and I am shore there are enough modules around to add the features you are after.

Say for a gallery modules, you just have to add a link to the user's gallery on their profile and ta da.

Basically you just want you user's profile page to look a bit aesthetic.

p.s Really good idea by the way
- - - - -
xoops FTW

BDW
  • 2007/2/17 0:36

• BDW

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/28

Quote:

cutley wrote:
Basically you just want you user's profile page to look a bit aesthetic.

Yes, but needs more functionality.

You just cant get it with loads of different modules. Also, the profile page thats in XOOPS is just not good enough.

It needs to be an actual module to do it all I think so you can have charts, message board per persion, music, video and other stuff you just wont be able to do with XOOPS and the modules available.

Caran
  • 2007/3/15 22:46

• Caran

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/15

YES!! PLEASE! I'm trying to build a targeted "social network". We've just started building and we're really liking Xoops...this post was honestly the first indication to me that XOOPS didn't have this type of module.

Everything I'm reading on the net is indicating that Social Networking is the new wave...if I may be so bold...Xoops should jump right in.

A social network module would be fabulous!!

So, can we see one in a week or so?

(This is a great and informative site by the way...thank you all!)

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/5 11:52

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

We'd be interested in helping/funding a project like this. We're looking for someothing with similar features to expand an existing financial social networking site.

jeffgr
  • 2007/4/5 14:02

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I recently posted a thread about the opens-source application

www.phpizabi.net

which is an open-source social networking application.

IMHO, I think this could be the social networking module that we are looking for....

Check out the demo site here:

http://demo.phpizabi.net/

I believe that there is a small add-on as well that will allow you to create MySpace-Style layouts.

I think that if we can wrap this app as a module OR make it so that when someone registers in XOOPS they are registered on the app as well (or vice-versa), then this will fill the needs of many people.

Seems like an easier way to have these features, then by creating something new by scratch.

Anyone up for the challenge of making this app a module? I will give a small donation myself to whoever can get this done. Perhaps more small donations will spur interest in this project.

jeffgr

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/5 21:37

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

That looks like a slick little platform... Much more professional looking then XOOPS. It would be nice to be able to add a more powerful forum and chat to that platform.

I really hope XOOPS stops looking and feeling so disjointed and patched, into a much more integrated and professional platform.

wwolpmann
  • 2007/4/5 21:50

• wwolpmann

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/28

I am using XOOPS and all XOOPS modules to build a MySpace type of site. So far I have incorporated 15 diffenent XOOPS mods. You can check the site out here, Adult My Space , but please do not sign up because I am still building the site. If you would like the mods list let me know.

Bill

WallStArb
  • 2007/4/5 22:17

• WallStArb

• Just popping in

Looks liek a nice start, honestly though for your application it really seems like that www.phpizabi.net might be a much better solution for an online dating type thing.

We really want to have very strong forum, and also news/articles that are sitewide rather then based on individuals.

Login

Who's Online

174 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 174

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits