iHackCode
Google TechTalk Video: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too)

I saw this video on the web at many sites. So I decided to post it.

Video: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too)

i find it quite interesting presentation. Ben Collins-Sussman and Brian Fitzpatrick from google give their insight on what they have learned, encountered over the years, and their experiences with their own open source project. The advice they give doesn't only apply to open source projects and their communities, it can apply to all communities.

watch the video.. i cannot write a decent summary.
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

carnuke
Re: Google Talk Video: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too)
  • 2007/2/4 16:25

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Im watching it right now... Very revealing, her's an abstact

Every open source project runs into people who are selfish, uncooperative, and ... all » disrespectful. These people can silently poison the atmosphere of a happy developer community. Come learn how to identify these people and peacefully de-fuse them before they derail your project. Told through a series of (often amusing) real-life anecdotes and experiences.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

wizanda
Re: Google Talk Video: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People (And You Can Too)
  • 2007/2/4 16:56

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Added it to our site, as that can be related to any sort of community, in many sense...

Some very good pointers for us all, and ways to get information across to each other.

carnuke
  • 2007/2/4 17:20

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

There are people in open source projects who are too interested in their own agendas for recognition and wont let go of the reigns of power. Some are infatuated with 'process' rather than 'direction' and hooked up on 'details' and not 'destination' Not only is this a poor use of energy and resources, but it stifles the new life of change and evolution.

Some of these people have infiltrated into the management teams and there are also those in management who have grown old, cynical and apathetic. 'We've heard it all before and nothing ever happens' they say. Well that's because you buggers have your foot on the pipe and cant see a way forward.

Looking into their meetings, between the power mongers and cynics we see pages of babble about petty details, irrelevant distractions and unfocused arguments.

Is it any surprise such projects cant move forwards? "Life is what happens to them while they're busy making other plans."
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

snow77
  • 2007/2/4 18:17

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

that was real neat to listen and look at and gave me more than a couple of laughs, thanks Bandit
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits