undoIT
Setting homepage URL with content module installed
  • 2007/1/30 17:48

• undoIT

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/7 1

I did a search and didn't find info on this specific question. I was surprised to find that XOOPS doesn't have content creation included as part of the core. So, I downloaded the tinycontent module. It seems that in order for the posts to appear on the homepage, it is necessary to set the module as the homepage. But then you end up with a homepage URL that looks like this:http://www.example.com/modules/tinycontent/?id=1

My question is if it is possible to have content created using tinycontent appear on the homepage with a URL of:http://www.example.com

If there is a way to accomplish this, please let me know.

Thanks!

rabideau
Re: Setting homepage URL with content module installed
  • 2007/1/30 18:27

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do. But check out a couple of my sites, links below. Se if any might be similar to what you want.

If so feel free to copy them, contact me, or whatever.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

undoIT
  • 2007/1/30 18:31

• undoIT

• Just popping in

yep. that's what i'd like to do. are you using tinycontent? how'd you set up XOOPS to display the content on the homepage and keep the URL clean?

jensclas

You can have static content appear on the homepage by using a 'custom block'. You create these through admin - blocks - make custom block. Give it a name, set permissions, make it visible to all and set it to the start page and weight it to sit where you wish. because XOOPS is 'object oriented' it is all about 'objects' which are installed modules and selecting and positioning blocks from those modules where you wish. The reason there is no specific content module in the core is that fact that there are so many to choose from.

I am not sure how you would get a url to not demonstrate which module was in use - with a bit of hunt and peck on the topic of simple URL's you may find an answer. if I type in www.axoopswebsite.com the page always renders with something - mine renders with /module/news. Xoops.org renders with /?

(now I find that interesting) - but I don't beleive I have seen one render without a /something.

Peekay
  • 2007/1/30 18:38

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

You could try creating an .htaccess file in your web root containing a command that uses the Apache web server's 'mod-rewrite' feature. Re-write gets the urlencoded variables and uses regex to declare a condition (when...) and a rule (do this...) They are commonly used to turn dynamic URLs into static ones, e.g.:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond 
%{HTTP_HOST} ^www.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule 
^index.php$ /index.htm [r=301,L]

They are good fun... meaning, I haven't a clue how to write one from scratch. Lots of info online if you search for mod rewrite.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

undoIT
  • 2007/1/30 18:49

• undoIT

• Just popping in

I was wondering if there was a way to do this without rewrite. Right now I am setting this up on a demo-site for XOOPS themes. I've got all of the module positions activated and I wanted to have the example content independent of the blocks, because not all themes have all the blocks activated or situated in the same way. Looks like the way to do this is with a rewrite, and I guess i'll find out how it affects calling themes by URL. Thanks for the quick responses :)

rabideau
  • 2007/1/30 18:50

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

As jensclas noted, all I use is custom blocks. On the menus where there is unique content I use multiMenu calls to html I keep in Content 0.5 format.

The Blocks page in admin allows you to specify which blocks show. In your preferences you can specify which page to start/ open the site.

Have fun.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

undoIT
  • 2007/1/30 19:17

• undoIT

• Just popping in

Or maybe it would just be easier to append the theme call to /modules/tinycontent/ in the URL :)

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
You could try creating an .htaccess file in your web root containing a command that uses the Apache web server's 'mod-rewrite' feature. Re-write gets the urlencoded variables and uses regex to declare a condition (when...) and a rule (do this...) They are commonly used to turn dynamic URLs into static ones, e.g.:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond 
%{HTTP_HOST} ^www.yourdomain.com
RewriteRule 
^index.php$ /index.htm [r=301,L]

They are good fun... meaning, I haven't a clue how to write one from scratch. Lots of info online if you search for mod rewrite.

In addition:

SmartSection is another content module. You can put any SmartSection page on your frontpage with mod_rewrite, simular to what Peekay showed. See this post.

But before you start doing these things: try making blocks and put these on your homepage without activating a module for your homepage. It is well possible that you get the result you like (probably after some trial and error). You can also create a custom block, like jensclas suggested.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits