oldenough
Extreme problems with permission
  • 2007/1/29 7:11

• oldenough

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/11

After logging in as administrator I keep getting logged out every time I try to do anything with any module!! This is really frustrating and hopefully a bug???

In my URL in my browser I can see a long string (...../index.php?PHPSESSID=de7003b2b3ee8b50d4029ba5...etc) attatched to Index.php. Can't remember I saw this on my test site locally before I went live on a server.

I use XOOPS 2.0.16.

Please. Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.

Madest
Re: Extreme problems with permission
  • 2007/1/29 10:26

• Madest

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/3 1

The problem - sessions!
Go to site config and put the session option to off
It could help, i hope so!

oldenough
  • 2007/1/29 12:03

• oldenough

• Just popping in

Quote:

Madest wrote:
The problem - sessions!
Go to site config and put the session option to off
It could help, i hope so!

Hello and thanks for the reply!
Where do i do this? At the server level? Is it an option in the XOOPS system preferences, or???

Peekay
  • 2007/1/29 12:10

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

You might try this:

Quote:

Using a DB utility like PHPMyAdmin, connect to your database and 'empty' the session table - it will be called yourxoopsprefix_sessions. Go back and 'repair' the session table, then try to log in again.

The PHPMyAdmin website explains how to check and repair tables.

Before doing that, you should double check that your file and folder permissions have been set correctly. See the documentation site for details. If they are correct and this is a new site, you would be better off re-uploading the files. Corrupt FTP transfers of PHP files are often the cause of many weird problems.

PHP files should be transferred in ASCII (text) mode. This ensures line feed characters are converted to the correct format for the receiving server. This is especially important if you edit PHP files on a Mac using an editor that saves files in Mac format. The 'auto' setting in most FTP apps *should* do this automatically, but not all do.

If you use WAIS FTP, make sure you don't inadvertently have the 'convert filenames to lower-case' option selected. You tend to forget that Unix/Linux is case sensitive when you build a site on a PC.

If you have edited 'mainfile.php' locally, ensure there are no spaces or blank lines following the closing PHP tag (a common cause of errors).

You will minimise unpleasant surprises if you can mirror the live server config as closely as possible on your development computer, e.g. MySQL version, PHP version, register_globals settings etc. For example, if you use XAMPP you don't have to use the very latest versions of PHP or MySQL, they do have other distributions available.

Check the XOOPS FAQ for more info on access issues, blank pages etc.

HTH.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

oldenough
  • 2007/1/29 12:23

• oldenough

• Just popping in

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
You might try this:

Quote:

Using a DB utility like PHPMyAdmin, connect to your database and 'empty' the session table - it will be called yourxoopsprefix_sessions. Go back and 'repair' the session table, then try to log in again.

The PHPMyAdmin website explains how to check and repair tables.

Before doing that, you should double check that your file and folder permissions have been set correctly. See the documentation site for details. If they are correct and this is a new site, you would be better off re-uploading the files. Corrupt FTP transfers of PHP files are often the cause of many weird problems.

PHP files should be transferred in ASCII (text) mode. This ensures line feed characters are converted to the correct format for the receiving server. This is especially important if you edit PHP files on a Mac using an editor that saves files in Mac format. The 'auto' setting in most FTP apps *should* do this automatically, but not all do.

If you use WAIS FTP, make sure you don't inadvertently have the 'convert filenames to lower-case' option selected. You tend to forget that Unix/Linux is case sensitive when you build a site on a PC.

If you have edited 'mainfile.php' locally, ensure there are no spaces or blank lines following the closing PHP tag (a common cause of errors).

You will minimise unpleasant surprises if you can mirror the live server config as closely as possible on your development computer, e.g. MySQL version, PHP version, register_globals settings etc. For example, if you use XAMPP you don't have to use the very latest versions of PHP or MySQL, they do have other distributions available.

Check the XOOPS FAQ for more info on access issues, blank pages etc.

HTH.

Guess what! I didn't have sessions turned on.. So I tried instead to turn sessions on and then I turned on the option to use my own session, and I sat it to 60 minutes. All my permission problems then just disappeared...!
Does this sound logic?

Login

Who's Online

288 user(s) are online (215 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 288

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits